Thursday 16 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 16th September, 2021

16th September, 2021.


You know, I could be kicking myself.

Possibly.

Except I’d possibly miss!

You see, I didn’t pick my medications up, yesterday: having headed into Romford, to cash out some bits at Romford CeX.

On the upside … ?

I have enough cash to get shopping: I can get the meds at the same time.

~≈fl≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Trevor‡, Tulsi85^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Trevor scoring ten out of ten, Olga, Tulsi85 and Debbi on nine, and Mum on eight.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        16th September is Malaysia Day: marking the day the Malaysian Federation was formed.   In which year was it formed: 1963, 1964 or 1965?

Q2)        16th September is the UN sponsored International Day for The Preservation of what: the Oceans, the Ozone Layer or the Giraffe?

Q3)        Tomás de Torquemada died on 16th September, 1498.   Famously, he was the leader of the Spanish … what?

Q4)        W. O. Bentley was born on 16th September, 1888.   Which car company did he found: Rolls-Royce, Bentley or Aston Martin?

Q5)        Finally … ?   16th September, 1968, saw the UK’s Post Office introduce its new, first class, stamps.   How much did those stamps coast: 5d, 6d or 7d?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Agatha Christie was born: on 15th September of which year of the 1890s?
A1)        1890

Q2)        She wrote novels in which genre: science fiction, crime or romance?
A2)        Crime.   (Strictly speaking: the sub-genre known as the detective novel, and occasionally as the whodunit.)

Q3)        Which of her recurring characters was a former Belgian policeman?
A3)        Hercule Poirot.

Q4)        That character first appeared in The Mysterious Affair at where: Styles, Gates or Ladders?
A4)        The Mysterious Affair at Styles.   According to Wikipedia?   Agatha was describing Poirot as an ‘insufferable creep,’ by the end of the 1960s.   He was also the first fictional character to have an obituary in the New York Times.

Q5)        A series of Christie short stories — that were eventually published as The Thirteen Problems — were the first to feature Agatha’s other recurring character.   That character was a famous spinster called Miss Jane … who?
A5)        Miss Jane Marple.

Q6)        Jane lived in which fictional village: Royston Vasey, Midsummer or St. Mary Mead?
A6)        St. Mary Mead.

Q7)        Agatha appears as a character in a Dr Who episode called The Unicorn and the Wasp. The Unicorn and the Wasp is set in which year of the 1920s: 1925, 1926 or 1927?
A7)        1926: the year Agatha famously went missing for ten days.   We still don’t know why she went astray: but the episode blames a giant, alien, wasp.

Q8)        One of Agatha’s novels was called Ten Little Indians for many years.   It’s now called And Then There Were what?
A8)        And Then There Were None.   (I’d love to include the original title: but not at the risk of getting getting a strike from YouTube or Blogger.)

Q9)        The longest running show in the West End is a play written by Agatha.   What’s it called: The Mousetrap, The Rocky Horror Show, or Warhorse?
A9)        The Mousetrap.

Q10)        Finally … ?   The last novel published during Agatha’s lifetime was called what: Postern of Fate, Curtain or Sleeping Murder?
A10)        Curtain.   (Postern of Fate was the last book she wrote, but published before Curtain.   Sleeping Murder was published posthumously.   I was, by default, looking at the UK publication dates, which I should have made clearer.)
Here’s a thought … 
“Everybody wants to go to Heaven, but no one wants to die to get there!”
B. B. King, September 16, 1925 – May 14, 2015.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Tell me they’ve got Macs, Olga!   Sorry, sorry, I couldn’t help it!   Good luck getting used to the updates: but I think you’ll find that easy.
        Hmmm … I don’t think I’ve had to pay customs duties on stuff from China: but I think the EU/China and UK/China deals are different, there.   Or there weren’t any tariffs on them: it’s been a little while.
        At any rate, I’d love to see The Mousetrap at some point: it’s always sounded like a good night out.  Apparently, the news announcement near the start was recorded by Derek Guyler — Corky the policeman from Sykes — for the first show in1952: and means Derek holds the record for playing a role for the longest time.
        And yes: I knew about the original name for And Then There Were None.   I decided against using it, just in case it got the video taken down from YouTube.

        Hello, Mum!

        I get the impression your account was cloned, Trevorº, rather than hacked: I think Dawn managed to block the person who messaged, without blocking you.   That … and the fact the message from ‘you’ has vanished.   (They were going on about some form of development grant, so you know.)   Either way, changing passwords is good!
        Hmmm … What are you planning to do with the old laptop, Trevor?   I think I can find a buyer, if you’re interested: there was a few people interested in the most recent one I sold.

^        I’m glad you enjoyed it, Tulsi85.   Oh, the last novel published during her life was Curtain: I should have made it clearer that I meant published in the UK!
        And cheers for mentioning Twitter: I’ll try and tweet you later!

ª        I have to admit, Debbi, I was thinking of you, when I wrote the set.   Well, female detectives, and all!   I’m just wondering where the creators of Murder, She Wrote, got the idea.
        Now I think of it … 

º        Actually, Trevor, I’ve double checked: the OTHER you’s account has, seemingly, been removed, or taken down.   You were cloned.



4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1963

Q2) The Ozone Layer

Q3) Inquisition (And, of course, his father plays quite an important part in El Ministerio del Tiempo... Well, his father, supposedly...)

Q4) Bentley Motors Limited

Q5) 5d
Evidently not Macs, Paul. They are not a rich radio station, only a small local one! They couldn't justify such an expense, especially when they have their offices at a church tower, said church well-known for their charity work (they hand food out every week, and, to tell you the truth, the church does need a fair bit of TLC, but I guess there are other priorities).
For some reason, I had it in my head that both Poirot's and Miss Marple's final novels had been published posthumously (I knew the story about her locking them up in a vault), but no. Have I mentioned that I've read some of Sophie Hannah's new Poirot novels (the two most recent ones)? They aren't half bad. No Hastings, though, but I particularly enjoyed The Killings at Kingfisher Hill.
Don't forget your meds!

trev-v said...

A1 1963
A2 the Ozone Layer
A3 Inquisition (cue Monty Python)
A4 Bentley
A5 5d (Ah good old proper money)

So I was cloned like Dolly the Sheep.

Which old Laptop. I have several, including the dead Dell laptop. Most need a little work done on them. The one I was using until I got my new one set up is a Toshiba which has a slight problem with the S and D keys. The previous to that is a Packard Bell which has a loose D key.

The Toshiba is on Windows 10. I think that the Packard Bell is Windows 8 – not suitable for upgrading to Windows 10.

There may be another very old laptop in the loft.

Freda said...

1 1965
2 Ozone Layer
3 Inquisition
4 Bentley
5 5p

Debbi said...

Oh, I think I know where they got the idea. Not to mention Angela Lansbury. :)

1. 1963
2. the Ozone Layer
3. Inquisition (I wasn't expecting that!)
4. Bentley
5. 5d