Sunday 19 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 19-9-2021: Talk Like A Pirate

19th September, 2021.


Right … It’s day whatever it is of self-isolation … 

And … ?

With a little bit of help, I’ve done some online shopper … that’s not on Amazon.

Forty quid’s worth of bits and bobs, for the most part.

Including a loaf, and some milk.

Oh, and some carrots.

Somehow, my version of goulash needs carrots …

~≈🥕≈~

Oh, FINALLY … !

I saw a film on Friday.

The 2021 version of Candyman: which is quite something.

I could carry on raving about it.

But … ?

I’ll play you the soundtrack … and show you my video review … 



~≈🐝≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Trevor‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        19th September is Talk Like a Pirate Day: first marked in which year of the 1990s?

Q2)        The rough period between 1650s and 1730s was known as the what age of Piracy?

Q3)        Buccaneers were pirates who mostly operated, where: the North Sea, Caribbean Sea or the Andaman Sea?

Q4)        Sir Francis Drake was an English privateer.   Jean Bart was a French … what: corsair, freebooter or marauder?

Q5)        Many modern pirates operate in the Gulf of Aden, the Guardafui Channel and the Somali Sea.   In other words, off the coast of which African ‘S’?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        The New York Times was first published: on 18th September of which year?
A1)        1851.

Q2)        It was originally called what: the New-York Daily Times, the New York Weekly Times or the New-York Daily Courant?
A2)        The New-York Daily Times.

Q3)        The paper’s HQ is on which New York street: 8th Avenue, Wall Street or Fifth Avenue?
A3)        8th Avenue.

Q4)        The New York Times uses its own guide to written English: rather than anyone else’s.   These guides are known as what guides: fashion guides, style guides or taste guides?
A4)        Style guides.   (Most US publications use the Associated Press style guide.   I have a copy of New Hart’s Rules.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Times uses the Cheltenham typeface for what: its headlines, its chapter headings or its body text?
A5)        Its headlines.
Here’s a thought …
“Piracy is an act of robbery or criminal violence by ship or boat-borne attackers upon another ship or a coastal area, typically with the goal of stealing cargo and other valuable goods.”
From the Wikipedia entry on piracy.
And a playlist …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.







*        We’re starting a booster jab programme over here, too, Olgaª: I think mine should be due in November.   Quite what catching it means for that, I don’t know!
        You know, if it wasn’t the fact I saw Contagion a few years ago, I’d possibly watch it, again.   I think I lifted a tag line from it: something about blogging being “Graffiti with punctuation.”   It was funny at the time … 
        And yes: I keep meaning to watch Only Lovers … I keep meaning to compare it with Byzantium.   (Oh, did I mention Candyman … ?   I was impressed.)

        Hello, Mum!

        It’s a bit of a bugger, Trevor: I kind of like heading out in the morning, and am VERY tempted to break the rules!
        At ANY rate … ?   JUST done five thousand points worth of surveys on that YouGov thing you mentioned.   That’s Christmas paid for … 

^        It’s Nik Nak’s Tenth Law, again, Debbiª.   (Did I mention Candyman … ?   It’s impressive!)

ª        Olga, Debbi, did I mention I’ve got a copy of Harts?   Not that I pay any attention to it, but it’s on my shelf.

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1995

Q2) The Golden Age of Piracy

Q3) The Caribbean Sea

Q4) Corsair

Q5) Somalia
I probably should watch the original Candyman first, as it's been so long that I don't remember much about it. I watched Hereditary yesterday. Well... Toni Colette is impressive, but then she usually is. The film I found quite creepy, but the ending... It went too over the top, and when I started laughing, I knew that it wasn't the intended reaction. It has the looks and the atmosphere, but I think the script perhaps needed a bit more work (it just seems to throw everything in).
Harts... I have to use the Chicago Style for the chapter I'm supposed to contribute to an academic book. Not one I've used before, although it is not that different from the ones I'm used to. The problem is the small differences, as usual.
Stay safe.

trev-v said...

A1 1995
A2 Golden
A3 Caribbean Sea
A4 corsair
A5 Somalia

I redeemed my latest 5000 points last month. Much easier than it used to be. In the early days they issued Cheques and you had to await their arrival in the post and then go to the bank to pay them in. Now it is paid into your Bank account on the next working day. Not sure if it was my 5th or 6th redemption.

I have 2 online grocery shopping accounts with free free mid week delivery. I tend to get my Tesco’s order delivered between 10.00 and 14.00 on a Tuesday and my Morrisons order delivered between 10.00 – 11.00 on a Thursday.

Won the Lottery for the second time this week last night. Last Wednesday’s lucky dip win gave me another Lucky dip win plus £5.00. The £5.00 was a jackpot roll down win.


Freda said...

1 1995
2 Golden Age
3 CARRIBEAN EA
4 CORSAIR
5 SOMALIA

Debbi said...

I could use the one about Grammar for Dummies! :)

1. 1995
2. Golden
3. Caribbean Sea
4. corsair
5. Somalia