Saturday 18 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18-9-2021: The New York Times

18th September, 2021


Bugger!

If you’ll excuse the language!

I’ve tested positive for COVID-19.

At my last ONS swab test, a few days ago.

Which means I’ve got to self isolate for the next few days.

OK, granted, it’s for a good cause.

And, granted, I had it mild*.

But I’m going to be climbing the walls by the end of it.

~≈🦠≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Mum‡, Trevor^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        The New York Times was first published: on 18th September of which year?

Q2)        It was originally called what: the New-York Daily Times, the New York Weekly Times or the New-York Daily Courant?

Q3)        The paper’s HQ is on which New York street: 8th Avenue, Wall Street or Fifth Avenue?

Q4)        The New York Times uses its own guide to written English: rather than anyone else’s.   These guides are known as what guides: fashion guides, style guides or taste guides?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Times uses the Cheltenham typeface for what: its headlines, its chapter headings or its body text?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        17th September, 1849, saw Harriet Tubman escape from slavery. What biblical nickname did she use, when helping others to escape: Moses, Aaron or Solomon?
A1)        Moses: he famously lead Hebrew slaves to the Promised Land.

Q2)        17th September, 1939, saw the Soviet Union begin it’s invasion of where: Poland, Estonia, Lithuania or Latvia?
A2)        Poland.

Q3)        NASA rolled out OV-101 on 17th September, 1976. OV-101 was which of the Space Shuttles: the Enterprise, Discovery or Challenger?
A3)        The Enterprise.

Q4)        17th September, 1923, saw the birth of singer, Hank Williams. Who played Williams in 2015 biopic, I Saw the Light?
A4)        Tom Hiddleston.

Q5)        The late great Roddy McDowall was born on 17th September, 1928. He played Dr Cornelius in which 1968 film?
A5)        Planet of the Apes.
Here’s a thought … 
“All the News That’s Fit to Print.”
The New York Times slogan, since 1896.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        I coughed, last Thursday, sneezed twice on Friday, and had a blocked nose in between: nothing more serious than a bad cold.   The vaccine helped, I think: lessening the conditions’s effects.

        You know, I don’t think I’ve seen a Tom Hiddleston film, Olga.   OK, I know he’s in a few of the Marvel films, but they’re not usually on my playlist.
        Tesco’s get everywhere … !
        And yes: Sinclair’s death was something.   Did you ever see Micro Men, the BBC’s docudrama about the Microcomputer era?   It’s a fascinating watch.


        Hello, Mum!

^        That’s a shame: I could’ve got rid of the quickly for you, Trevor.
        I do know that — on the Mac — we can Disc Utility to wipe a drive: extremely securely, from what I know.   The rm command will also work, to remove documents.


ª        Which reminds me, Debbi, it’s nearly a decade since he died.   That went fast … !



4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1851

Q2) The New-York Daily Times

Q3) 8th Avenue

Q4) Style guides

Q5) Its headlines
Oh, what a bummer! Sorry about the COVID, but at least it's mild. Here we have been allowed to not wear masks outside for quite a while (if we can keep the safety distance), but I am still wearing it. There are far too many people, and you never know when you'll end up in a crowd. And we still have to wear them when we go to a shop or anywhere else, so it makes little difference. It also encourages my mother to keep wearing it, because although we're both immunized, at her age, one never knows. Here they have started with third doses for people in nursing homes or with immunosuppression due to illness or treatment, but I suspect it will end up being implemented more generally. But, personally, I think it is more important that those countries with no access to vaccines or not enough, get as many people as possible vaccinated.
They were showing Steven Soderbergh's 'Contagion' yesterday, and gosh... Anyway.
I've seen Tom Hiddleston in quite a few movies over the years (War Horse among some early ones, The Deep Blue Sea, the Hank Williams story as well), and he is a wonderful Loki, although I've only ever watched one of Thor's movies. But the movie I really love him in (and love the movie as well) is a Jim Jarmusch one called 'Only Lovers Left Alive'. It is quite an out-there vampire movie. He and Twilda Swinton are two vampires who live in different places, but have loved each other for centuries. He plays guitar, she loves books, and you have some fantastic other characters (John Hurt plays Christopher Marlowe, and, let me tell you, there is no love lost between him and Shakespeare)! If you haven't watched it, I recommend it. I've loved Jim Jarmusch since Stranger than Paradise, and he keeps being wonderfully weird after all these years.
Stay safe and take it as easy as you can.

Freda said...

1 1851
2 New York Daily Times
3 8th Avenue
4 Style guides
5 Chapter Headings
5

trev-v said...

A1 1851
A2 The New-York Daily Times
A3 8th Avenue
A4 style guides
A5 its headlines


Sorry to hear that you tested positive. I have basically been self Isolating since March 2020. Last time I was on a bus was May 2021 when I went for my second injection.

Not a problem for me as I am basically a stay at home person.



Debbi said...

Wow! Yeah, you're not kidding!

1. 1851
2. the New-York Daily Times
3. 8th Avenue (actually, Eighth Avenue, strictly speaking :) )
4. style guide
5. its headlines