Friday 24 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 24-9-2021: Jim Henson

24th September, 2021.


I don’t know about you: but occasionally … ?

I look out of the rear window.

Just so you know: the buildings on our estate have green emergency lights.

And, on dark mornings, when light from the street lights in the area hits the clouds?

The block of flats always catches my eyes.


Except in daylight, of course.

It’ll only start looking similar — and possibly better lit — this evening.

After my Sainsbury’s delivery has turned up.

~≈fl≈~

Many years ago, I can remember we had a petrol shortage: I can still remember the queues down Warley Hill, from the nearest petrol station.

Britain doesn’t have one, at the moment.

It does have a shortage of truck drivers.

Including, it seems, ones that drive the lorries that deliver petrol to garages*.

I don’t think the shortage is going to last long.

But … ?   For me it highlights something.

There is, it seems, an idea doing the rounds: that says the government should class lorry drivers as key workers, and therefore offer more, and quicker, visa applications to European drivers.

I think that’s a good idea.

But note the irony.

So many Leavers voted leave, so more British people could have those jobs.

Except, of course … ?   No-one British wants them … 

Hence the shortages … and the visas.

Hey, bloody, ho … !

~≈fl≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Trevor‡, Mum^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        24th September saw the birth of puppeteer, Jim Henson.   In which year of the 1930s?

Q2)        He graduated from University of Maryland, College Park in 1960.   With a degree in what: sculpture, drama or home economics?

Q3)        He was famous for creating many of the Muppets: for a US children’s show that started in 1969.  Which children’s show: Tom Foolery, Sesame Street or Larry Smith Puppets?

Q4)        The original The Muppet Movie was produced by Jim Henson.   In which year of the 1970s?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Henson’s home was given a Blue Plaque, this year.   His home, where: London, New York or Paris?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        The night of 23rd September saw Johann Gottfried Galle make the first observations of Neptune. In which year of the 1840s?
A1)        1846.

Q2)        The observations were made at an observatory, where: France, Germany or the UK … ?
A2)        Germany.

Q3)        Neptune’s orbit was predicted by Urbain Le Verrier. After he saw irregularities in the orbit of which planet: Jupiter, Saturn or Uranus?
A3)        Uranus.

Q4)        Neptune’s largest moon was discovered non-long after Neptune, itself. What’s that moon called: Triton, Proteus or Larissa?
A4)        Triton.

Q5)        Neptune’s which planet from the Sun: sixth, seventh or eighth?
A5)        The eighth.
Here’s a thought … 
“Frankly, I’m a lot more comfortable if I’m wearing a puppet.”
Jim Henson.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        Just to make things worse?   Insulate Britain are blocking at least one port at Dover.   The idiots … 

        That’s Japanese anime for you, Olga: they’re decidedly odd, sometimes!   As for the blog … ?   I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.
        Oh … Carles Puigdemont has been arrested … 

        I can imagine, Trevor: it sounds rough … !   (I know you’re possibly not using AppleTV+, but their version of Foundation is released, today … )

^        Hello, Mum.

ª        Just a question, Debbi?   How the HELL is Keith Richards still alive?   I have to admit, I like this quote from the Stones’ spokesperson, after the Tree Incident:
        “She refused to elaborate further on his condition or explain what Richards was doing up a tree in the first place.”
        It’s proof he’s out of his tree … 

5 comments:

Edith said...

1 1936
2. Economics
3. Sesame Street
4. 1976
5. London

Hello Paul. I just love the muppets and my friends.

trev-v said...

A1 1936
A2 home economics
A3 Sesame Street
A4 1979
A5 London

If you had lived nearer to me you could well have become a Homicide statistic after your responses to my Facebook post of yesterday afternoon. I am currently living on the edge of insanity due to all the stresses of the past 3 weeks.

Freda said...

1 1936
2 Home Economics
3 Sesame Street
4 1975
5 London

Olga said...

Q1) 1936

Q2) Home Economics (This is really weird, but somehow, it suits him)!

Q3) Sesame Street

Q4) 1979

Q5) London
The arguments about emigration are always the same, but you're right, they always seem to forget that, in a large part, the cities and the big projects, are built thanks to those who come from abroad and don't mind the hard work. Not everybody can be the boss and have a nice job and not get their hands dirty.
Yes, I saw about Puigdemont. I've just come from outside (it's La Mercé, I think we talked about it, the Madonna Patroness of Barcelona, so there are things going on, and I went to a Fitness Party, at the harbour. It was fun, and we got a free T-shirt and moved a bit), ao I haven't had a chance to check, although, in theory, as he is an MEP, he has immunity. We shall see. It's not the first time.
Oh, and I managed to speak to somebody from SideGround yesterday, and they've sorted the problem, at least for the time being. It seems that a new update doesn't play nice with my blog, so he had to turn it back to an earlier version. He suggested updating everything, but the plugins are up-to-date, and I had tried switching them off, and it didn't work, so I don't think that was the problem. Perhaps the theme... In any case, at the moment is working, and I'll see what else is going on.

Debbi said...

He's a character. That's for sure. :)

I see Britain's immigration politics are similar to ours, in certain respects. Not good ones, from a hiring standpoint. :( We also rely on immigrants to take the jobs no U.S. citizen seems to want.

Ah, the irony, right? :)

1. 1936
2. home economics (I went to University of Maryland, College Park--my alma mater)
3. Sesame Street
4. 1979
5. London