Sunday 5 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 5th September, 2021

5th September, 2021.


Right … it’s officially official … 

I’m still going off parsnips … but owe a big ‘thank you,’ to every one who’s made suggestions.

Debbi, Trevor, Olga?   Thanking you … !

At ANY rate … ?

I’ve got one last bowl left: that I might just have to de-parsnip.

~≈fl≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Debbi‡ and Mum^ putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Composer, John Cage, was born on 5th September, 1912.   He famously used what as a composition tool: the I Ching, tarot cards or tea leaves?

Q2)        5th September is the feast day of Saint Bertin the Great.   Bertin was born in Konstanz, in what’s now where: Germany, Austria or Italy?

Q3)        Louis 14th of France was born on 5th September, 1638.   He was known as the what King: the Sun King, Moon king or Star King?

Q4)        Actor Paddy Considine was born on 5th September, 1973.   In which 2016 film did he play Sergeant Eddie Parks?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Actress Rose McGowan was born on 5th September, 1973: the same day as Paddy Considine.   In which supernatural, US series did she play Paige Matthews?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Singer, Beyoncé, was born on 4th September.   Of which year of the 1980s?
A1)        1981.

Q2)        She found fame as the main singer of which band: the Three Degrees, Destiny’s Child or All Saints?
A2)        Destiny’s Child.   (I still think All Saints were the better band: Never Ever’s one hell of a tune!)

Q3)        What was the name of her first solo album: I Am … Sasha Fierce, B’Day or Dangerously in Love
A3)        Dangerously in Love.

Q4)        In which Austin Powers film did Beyoncé play Foxxy Cleopatra?
A4)        Austin Powers in Goldmember.   (Gwyneth Paltrow crops up as Dixie Nourmous.   You can tell Mike Myers is a Carry On fan.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   Beyonce’s married to which rapper: Ice T, Eminem or Jay-Z?
A5)        Jay-Z.
Here’s a thought … 
“Hollywood is all about making an entrance. I don’t want to be a walking advertisement for anyone other than myself.”
Rose McGowan, born 5th September, 1973.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Usually, it’s a toss up, Olga: there’s a vegetable stall near Sainsbury’s.   I usually get their jacket spuds, as they’re a decent size.   The down side is they don’t do loyalty points: which can bring prices down.
        Actually, the chicken stew’s usually got chicken pieces, Olga!   At any rate … ?   That’s an idea: but usually you can’t find meatballs without gravy, here.   I DO know my spaghetti sauce uses mince, so I’ll have to see what I can do about trying to replace it.
        I’m SERIOUSLY thinking Chilli con Carne, though: it’s been a long time!   (Sainsbury's and the veg stall usually have a lot of different types of chilliª peppers: I tend not to muck about … !)

        What on Earth is kohlrabi, Trevor?   (You know, we can call rutabagas, swedes, Trevor …)

        Oh, you found Substack, already, Debbi?   Why am I not surprised?   :D   (Oh, I’ve usually got carrots in there.   Them, parsnips, leeks, mushrooms, red onions, spring onions and, occasionally, garlic.   Oh, and chicken, if I find room!   Oh, I’m planning chilliª  next.   The last time I made serious amounts of chilli, I smoke, so I’ll have to … um … tone things down.)

^        Hello, Mum!

ª        I’ve a very old friend who won’t go near my chilli: to be fair, she does have Crohns!

4 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 I Ching
A2 Germany
A3 Sun King (once again our local star is hidden from us here in Brentwood)
A4 The Girl With All The Gifts
A5 Charmed


“The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final. “ Has some one been disputing the scores? What if the Quiz master had got the questions wrong.

This is what kohlrabi is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohlrabi

Rutabagas are actually Swedish Turnips. Around the world there is a lot of confusion between Swede and Turnips.

Olga said...

Q1) The I Ching

Q2) Germany

Q3) The Sun King (The Peacock King suits it better, although peacocks aren’t quite as pretentious).

Q4) The Girl with all the Gifts. (I stumbled across this film on the telly one day, and it looked interesting, but I’d missed so much of it that decided to leave it for another time, and haven’t caught up with it yet. Thanks for the reminder).

Q5) Charmed (they have shown it here again not long ago).
I meant making the meatballs yourself to use up the mince. Here (and I think the Italians as well) tend to add tomato sauce or some tomato-based sauce. There are many recipes, I'm sure, and they aren't at all difficult to do. You could also add miniature meatballs to pasta or vegetables or anything else, for that matter.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spaghetti-meatballs
They have started selling ugly vegetables here and they are cheaper than the standard ones. I remember they were doing it in Asda as well, by the time I left and were starting in Tesco, although it might depend on the size of the supermarket. And they are also very keen on not throwing things away, so trying to time your shopping to the time when the supermarket reduces prices is a good way to save a bit (some people have that to a fine science). It is complicated if you are far from the actual supermarket, but it might make sense to try and time your shopping, as long as you make sure you have time to cook the food quickly after, or space to freeze it.
Take care!

Freda said...

1 I Ching
2 Austria
3 Sun King
4 Dead man's shoes.
5 Twin Peaks


4

Debbi said...

Yes, Substack seems pretty cool. I'm glad to see more fiction writers there!

1. I Ching
2. Germany
3. the Sun King
4. The Girl with All the Gifts
5. Charmed