Tuesday 28 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 28th September, 2021.

28th September, 2021.


You’ve worked out I’m a Dr Who fan, haven’t you … ?

It’s not like I’ve hidden it, over the years.

I’m one who’s enjoyed the spin-offs I’ve seen, over the years, as well: including Torchwood.

I’m also aware of the return of Russell T. Davies to the show runner post he practically created when he revived the show, back in 2005.

He also managed to do something no one else has managed to do.

Create successful spin offs: that lasted.

I think the only thing that stopped The Sarah Jane Adventures was the sad death of Elisabeth Sladen.

Torchwood’s ending … ?   Was a little murkier, I think.

Basically … ?   It was never renewed, after the fourth series, Miracle Day, was cancelled.

Which is a shame: I feel it could well have carried on, and remained successful.

Now … given RTD is returning to the fold?   I feel a revival for Torchwood is potentially on the cards.

I don’t know for sure: it could be nice, but we’ll have to see.

I think we could see Torchwood spin-offs.

I can remember seeing one of the early episode of the original series: where Jack gives us a run-down of other branches of the Torchwood Institute.   Describing Torchwood Two as an office in Glasgow, and Torchwood Four as having gone missing.

Which, to me, implies the series is capable of being franchised in the same way as Star Trek: where the individual spin offs cover the adventures of individual ships.

Or like the CSI or Law and Order franchises: where each series would cover a given branch office.

Could it would?   I believe so: and believe Russell T. Davies is the one person capable of making it work.

But we’d have to see.

~≈Ü≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Edith†, Trevor‡, Mum^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga, Mum and Debbi scoring five out of five and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        A strike was ruled illegal: on 28th September, 1984.   A strike by British whom: miners, sailors or steelworkers?

Q2)        28th September, 1542, saw Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo become the first European to land, where: California, Oregon or Washington?

Q3)        Formula One’s first nighttime Grand Prix was held: on 28th September, 2008.   Where: Beijing, Tokyo or Singapore?

Q4)        28th September, 1841, saw the birth of politician, Georges Clemenceau.   He was the 85th Prime Minister of which European country: France, Greece or Bulgaria?

Q5)        Finally … ?   28th September is the UN sponsored International Day for Universal Access to what: water, food or information?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        The city of Kabul fell: on 27th September, 1996.   To whom: al-Qaeda, the Taliban or ISIS?
A1)        The Taliban.

Q2)        27th September is the Feast of Meskel: in both the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox Churches.   It celebrates the finding of what: the Cross, the Turin Shroud or Saint John’s head?
A2)        The Cross.

Q3)        Diane Abbott, MP, was born on 27th September, 1953.   She was first elected to Parliament in which year: 1986, 1987 or 1988?
A3)        1987.

Q4)        27th September, 1922, saw Constantine 1st abdicated as King: in favour of his son, George 2nd.   Abdicated as king of where: Belgium, Greece or the Netherlands?
A4)        Greece.

Q5)        Finally?   Bobby Jones won the last tournament of the Grand Slam: on 27th September, 1930.   The Grand Slam in which sport: tennis, golf or shinty?
A5)        Golf.
Here’s a thought … 
“America is far away and protected by the ocean, England could not be reached by Napoleon himself. You are sheltered, both of you; we are not.”
Georges Clemenceau, 28 September 1841 – 24 November 1929.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        I managed to avoid a soaking, Olga: the day was remarkably dry, considering!   And yes: seeing Cummin’s MC would be quite something!   He did a fascinating documentary about the Liza Minelli version for the BBC, two.   I think I’mentioned it … but he was the one who found out Liza Minelli’s chair was nailed down, in Mein Herr.
        Shenanigans, hey?   Well … !


†        I had a sore arm, Edith!   There’s probably a lot of scientists studying everyone’s responses!

        I think I managed to avoid the rain, Trevor: it was chillier than it’s been, though, I know that!

^        Hello, Mum!

ª        I know what you mean, Debbi!   Saying that … ?   Slartibartfast’s line, about “I’d far rather be happy than right any day,” always springs to mind.   (Did you ever read Terry Pratchett’s piece about assisted death … ?   It’s … well … )

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Miners

Q2) California

Q3) Singapore

Q4) France

Q5) Information
I am having a bit of a stomach upset, so not up to much conversation. I just hope I'll be all right for tomorrow's class. Take care

Edith said...

1, Miners
2. California
3. Tokyo
4. France
5. WAter

Oh well, WE are all different.

trev-v said...

A1 Miners
A2 California
A3 Singapore
A4 France
A5 information

The long running problems with my current repeat prescription continues. I got the original problem when I used my chemists system on Sunday 19th Sept. Rang the chemists early on the Monday morning and the lady said the order had gone through. When I did not receive the pills on Thursday lunch time I again rang the chemists. This time I talked to a man and he said to ring my surgery. Well that was a 15 minute waiting in a queue before I talked to a receptionist who organised another repeat prescription which was sent down stairs to the chemists. Not getting my pills yesterday I again rang the chemists. I again spoke to the man who had just finished packing my pills and he said that they would be on the van to me today. Well about 1 ½ hours ago he rang me to say that there were problems with the van. It has no MOT and no fuel but they were getting another van and they would deliver tomorrow.

Good job I always try to renew two weeks in advance as the forms recommend.

Freda said...

1 Miners
2 California
3 Tokio
4 France
5 Water

Debbi said...

I remember his stance on that. I can understand.

1. miners
2. California
3. Singapore
4. France
5. information

I'm just not willing to give up the ghost. Just yet! :)