Monday 27 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 27th September, 2021.

27th September, 2021.


Why on Earth did that happen … ?

I got an early-ish night, last night.

With a book.

Ian Fleming’s Goldfinger, in case you’re interested.

And managed to get to sleep a little later.

Until someone rung my doorbell: at quarter past midnight!

Quite who that was, I don’t know: I wasn’t exactly going to get out of bed, at that time of night!

Whoever it was?

I hope they sorted out whatever they problem was.

Because they weren’t getting help from me.

~≈🛌≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Edith^, and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga Mum and Debbi scoring five out of five and Edith on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        The city of Kabul fell: on 27th September, 1996.   To whom: al-Qaeda, the Taliban or ISIS?

Q2)        27th September is the Feast of Meskel: in both the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox Churches.   It celebrates the finding of what: the Cross, the Turin Shroud or Saint John’s head?

Q3)        Diane Abbott, MP, was born on 27th September, 1953.   She was first elected to Parliament in which year: 1986, 1987 or 1988?

Q4)        27th September, 1922, saw Constantine 1st abdicated as King: in favour of his son, George 2nd.   Abdicated as king of where: Belgium, Greece or the Netherlands?

Q5)        Finally?   Bobby Jones won the last tournament of the Grand Slam: on 27th September, 1930.     The Grand Slam in which sport: tennis, golf or shinty?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        26th September, 1944, saw British and Polish troops retreat south, across the Rhine. It was the last day of the Battle of where: Arnhem, the Rhine or the Bulge?
A1)        Arnhem.

Q2)        Serena Williams was born on 26th September, 1981. Who’s her tennis playing older sister?
A2)        Venus Williams.

Q3)        William 2nd was crowns King of England: on 26th September, 1087. William was known as William what: Rufus, Chaka or Khan?
A3)        William Rufus.

Q4)        Typhoon Vera made landfall in Japan: on 26th September of which year of the 1950s?
A4)        1959.

Q5)        West Side Story debuted on 26th September, 1957. Where: Broadway, the West End or Grauman’s Chinese Theatre?
A5)        Broadway.
Here’s a thought … 
“The question you now might want to ask is what would be the most important things to do now with your remaining years.”
Peter Sellars, born September 27, 1957.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        It was definitely good to get some fresh air, Olga, I know that.   Today’s going to be interesting, though: we have rain, and I need something I forgot to order online.   I’m going to get wet.
        I think we’ve had a few selfie incidents like that … it’s … well, I think the less said, the better.   But I do think people should think.
        A re-vamped West Side Story?   Now, that could be worth watching, if Spielberg’s involved: we’ll have to see.   I do know I’d’ve killed to see the Sam Mendes stage version of Cabaret as a film: Alan Cumming’s version of the MC is supposed to be the only rival to Joel Grey’s.



        You know, I keep meaning to look up one of the film versions of de Bergerac’s life story, Trevor.   Gérard Depardieu’s supposed to have done a definitive version, a while ago.

        Hello, Mum!

^        Oh, bless you Edith!   (And I’m glad to have had the jabs: they’ve worked out!)

ª        Oh, well, that possibly helps, Debbiº.   Although I had Gillian down for a Joy Division fan!   At any rate: yes, she’s in Sex Education: she plays a sex therapist.   I keep thinking of Dear John, whenever I hear the phrase.


º        Oh, and talking of transhuman, Debbi.   (T’Nia Miler, who’s playing Celeste, Bethany’s Mum?   Cropped up as the General in Dr Who.)


5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Taliban

Q2) The Cross

Q3) 1987

Q4) Greece

Q5) Golf
I hope you don't get too wet if you have to go out. Here it's got quite hot again, after a few days when it had cooled down.
You got a great idea for a new Cabaret version. As I told you, I loved the version I saw on stage here, in Barcelona, but I can't, for the life of me, remember who played the MC. I guess it can't have been such a memorable performance.
I do remember living in student accommodation (and I was a "mature" student at that point) and getting fire alarms and all kind of shenanigans at odd hours.

Edith said...

1. Al-Qaeda
2. Turin Shroud
3. 1987
4. Greece
5. Golf

I am glad I have both doses as well. Better to get under the weather from the shots. I had a low-grade fever.

trev-v said...

A1 The Taliban
A2 The True Cross
A3 1987
A4 Greece
A5 Golf

Funny weather. Now blue skies and sun but at 08.00 when I went for my paper I almost got drowned. Had to hang my raincoat on the edge of one of the kitchen doors to drip dry.

Freda said...

1 Taliban
2 Cross
3 1987
4 Greece
5 Golf

Debbi said...

You know, that quote from Peter Sellers. That's on my mind a lot these days. :)

1. the Taliban
2. the Cross
3. 1987
4. Greece
5. golf