Wednesday 22 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 22-9-2021: The Autumn Equinox

22nd September, 2021.


Yes: it’s the 22nd of September, 2021.

Which means it’s the Autumn Equinox.

Which means … ?

Well, to be frank, it means I’m still stuck indoors, regardless of whether it’s daylight.

~≈Ê≈~

I was watching the BBC’s news channel, yesterday.

When the BBC’s politics correspondent, Laura Kuenssberg, managed to corner Boris Johnson about the £20 uplift to Universal Credit.

Ha!

When asked about it?   He told Ms Kuenssberg making it permanent were not something his government were planning on: as wages were going up, and unemployment was falling.

As someone who still doesn’t have a job … ?

Well: I think I tweet my thoughts perfectly well.
~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        22nd September, 2021, is this year’s Autumnal Equinox.   In other words, day and night are of roughly equal … what?

Q2)        According to the online Encyclopedia Britannica, on an Equinox, the sun will be above what: the Tropic of Cancer, the Tropic of Capricorn or the Equator?

Q3)        The word, equinox, comes from the word aequinoctium.   Aequinoctium* comes from which ancient language: Latin, Hebrew or Greek?

Q4)        Which festival is marked in the UK: on the nearest Sunday with a full moon to the Autumn Equinox: Christmas, Easter or the Harvest Festival?

Q5)        Finally … ?   If you’re marking Shūbun no hi, you celebrating the Autumn Equinox, where: China, Japan or Vietnam?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        21st September is Independence Day in Belize: marking its Independence, in 1981.   From where: the UK, France or Germany?
A1)        The UK.

Q2)        Belize is where: North America, Central America or South America?
A2)        Central America.

Q3)        What’s Belize’s official language: English, French or German?
A3)        English.

Q4)        Belize City is Belize’s what: largest city, smallest city or capital city?
A4)        Largest city.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Froyla Tzalam is Belize’s current what: Governor General, Prime Minister or President?
A5)        Governor General.
Here’s a thought … 
“The number of the dead long exceedeth all that shall live. The night of time far surpasseth the day, and who knows when was the Æquinox?”
Hydriotaphia, Urn Burial by Thomas Browne.
And a song …



Mentally? I’m filling in Richard Burton’s voice-over … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        Hang on, Trevor, you’ve NEVER been a happy bunny!   :D   At any rate, it could be worse: the boiler could have gone.   Boiling that much water on the stove can be … tricky … 

        I think I’ve managed to find something, Olga.   There’s a bunch of YouTubers he’s fond of, getting one of their t-shirts should do.   I just hope I’ve got the right size!
        Oh, lord, Thunderbirds!   Did you know there was a revival?   It’s the same with the Clangers.
        The Soup Dragon scared me: but not as much as Parsley the Lion.


        Hello, Mum!   (Don’t mention Parsley!)

^        I was wondering, Debbi!
        Did I ever mention Def Leppard?   Their drummer, Rick Allen, only has one arm: and has a specially designed drum kit.   I appreciate, though, that a drum solo in a Maryland court might not please the judge … 

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) length

Q2) The Equator

Q3) Latin

Q4) The Harvest Festival

Q5) Japan
I'm pretty sure the Klangers were shown here as well. We did have a fair share of Japanese cartoons, and then they started creating some here.
My blog is misbehaving (it shows OK, but I get an error message when I tried to access my Dashboard, so I can't post anything new. I've tried the usual solutions, although some not easy to do not having access (I can access through my Wordpress account and answer comments, but not post new content, and although I managed to try and switch off the plugins, that didn't have any effect). I've contacted the hosting service, but so far no reply and no change. We shall see. I was already thinking about going back to the free blog I was using before, and that could be the final push. Oh well...

trev-v said...

A1 Length or Duration
A2 Equator
A3 Latin
A4 Harvest Festival
A5 Japan

I replaced the main Boiler which was over 19 years old with a brand new boiler about 18 months ago. It passed it annual boiler check a couple of months ago.

It is not my fault that I suffered a major depressive episode about 16 years ago. I spent a number of years attending group therapy sessions in various buildings on the old Highwood hospital site.

Freda said...

1 Length
2 Equator
3 Greek
4 Harvest
5 Veitnam

Debbi said...

I've heard about him. Yeah. :)

1. length
2. the Equator
3. Latin
4. Harvest Festival
5. Japan