Tuesday 7 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 7-9-2021: Rosh Hashanah.

7th September, 2021.


Right … it’s official Tuesday: and it’s officially open windows day.

Frankly?

It’s going to be a warm day.


Quite why it’s this warm, at the start of September, I couldn’t tell you.

I do know I’m going to be uncomfortable!

~≈🌞≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        7th September, 2021, is Rosh Hashanah.   In other words, the Jewish what: New Year, Shabbat or Day of Atonement?

Q2)        The festival is the first of the traditional High Holy Days.   These days are specified in which Book of the Torah: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers or Deuteronomy?

Q3)        What is usually blown on Rosh Hashanah: a ram’s horn, a goat’s leg or a horse’s leg bone?

Q4)        The term, Rosh Hashanah translates as head of the what: day, month or year?

Q5)        Finally … ?   One traditional piece of food at Rosh Hashanah, is a honey covered what: apple, pear or peach?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        6th September is Unification Day in Bulgaria: marking the day Eastern Rumelia joined the country.   When did it join: 1885, 1886 or 1887?
A1)        1885.

Q2)        At the time, Bulgaria was a what: republic, principality or theocracy?
A2)        A principality.

Q3)        Bulgaria’s capital, that year, was Sofia.   What’s the current capital?
A3)        Believe it or not? Sofia.

Q4)        Modern Bulgaria’s currency is the what: Ruble, Lev or Euro?
A4)        The Lev.   (It’s symbol is лв.   So you know.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   Charles Champaud represented Bulgaria at the very first modern what: World Cup, Summer Olympics or Wimbledon?
A5)        Summer Olympics.
Here’s a quote … 
“The biblical name for this holiday is Yom Teruah (יוֹם תְּרוּעָה), literally ‘day of shouting or blasting’, and is also more commonly known in English as the Feast of Trumpets.”
From the Wikipedia entry on Rosh Hashanah.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        Yeah: eggs can be a handy binding agent, Olga.   I worked in a fairly posh restaurant, many years ago: the burgers were made on site, from mince meat, herbs and eggs.   What can I tell you … ?   Bar the fact I’ve never had omelettes, either!
        Yep: I got everything done … now it’s just a case of waiting for the forms!!

        I knew there was something I forgot, Trevor!   Still, I had some cumin: that added a touch of sweetness to it.

        Hello, Mum!

^        That’s, they did, didn’t Debbi?   I know Lovecraft’s Re-animator was.   (Did you see the 80s movie version of that?   Jeffrey Combs — Weyoun, Brunt, Shran, et al — played the main character.)

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Jewish New Year

Q2) Leviticus

Q3) A ram’s horn

Q4) Year

Q5) Apple
You've never had an omelette? Oh dear, that's sad. I might not feel particularly Spanish, but Spanish omelettes are delicious (mind you, some of the recipes around have little to do with it).
I did read it was going to get hot over there for a few days. I've heard it will get a bit colder here soon, but here it is the norm that September is quite hot, although usually a bit more bearable than July and August. When I was still in the UK I used to come on holiday in September (apart from prices being better, and my parents being at home, there are plenty of things going on in September here, including les Festes de la Mercè, the Virgin patron of Barcelona. A bit subdued this year, but I hope most things will go ahead.

trev-v said...

A1 New Year
A2 Leviticus
A3 Ram’s horn
A4 Year
A5 Apples

I am cooking my version of Moroccan Lamb in the Tagine on Wednesday when Penny comes round for dinner. Just hope that Tesco's deliver the fresh herbs I ordered. I do have dried ones in the spice drawers in reserve.





Freda said...

1 New Year
2 Leviticus
3 Rams Horn
4 Year
5 Apples

Debbi said...

I haven't, actually.

1. New Year
2. Leviticus
3. a ram's horn
4. year
5. apple

Debbi said...

At the beginning, that trailer reminded me of "The Brain That Wouldn't Die", a kind of cheesy, early 60s horror movie. :) But this one obviously went much farther than that one did!