Tuesday 14 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14-9-2021: Dante Alighieri.

14th September, 2021.


You know … today’s going to be one of those days, I think.

Believe it or not: I’ve got my washing machine on, washing some socks.

Whilst, simultaneously?

Boiling the famous Big Pot.

Yes: you’re right.

It’s teatowel cleaning day.

By the time the socks are washed … ?

The teatowels will just be started to do.

~≈⌘≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Trevor‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        14th September saw the death of poet, Dante Alighieri.   He’s usually just known as what: Danny, Dante or Durante?

Q2)        He died in which year of the 1320s?

Q3)        He was born around 1265.   In which Italian city: Florence, Rome or Venice?

Q4)        His writings are in what’s called the Tuscan dialect.   The dialect forms the basis of which modern European language: French, Spanish or Italian?

Q5)        Finally … ?   He finished his best known work — a narrative poem about heaven, hell and Purgatory — a year before he died.   It’s called the Divine what: Comedy, Tragedy or Drama?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        13th September, 2013, saw the US consulate in Herat attacked.   By insurgents from which group: al Qaeda, the Taliban or Boko Haram?
A1)        The Taliban.

Q2)        13th September is the feast day of Saint Venerius the Hermit.   He’s the patron saint of whom: shepherd’s, lighthouse keepers or bird watchers?
A2)        Lighthouse keepers.

Q3)        Goran Ivanišević was born on 13th September, 1971.   He plays what: football, chess or tennis?
A3)        Tennis.

Q4)        Roald Dahl was born on 13th September, 1916.   His first children’s book was published in which year: 1943, 1945 or 1947?
A4)        1943: it was called The Gremlins.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Maurice Jarre was born on 13th September, 1924.   He got an Oscar nomination for which 1984 film: A Passage to India, Beverly Hills Cop or Cloak and Dagger?
A5)        A Passage to India.
Here’s a thought …
“Love and the gracious heart are a single thing …”
Dante Alighieri.
And a video …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Ha!   Remind me not to let you near a karaoke bar, Olga!   At any rate, the meeting went well enough: and I now know what my case worker looks like.
        Oh, the term, gremlins has been around for a while.   Dahl would’ve come across it in the Royal Air Force: it was an RAF term.   The pilots and crew used to blame gremlins, whenever something went wrong with a plane.


        Hello, Mum!

        Yeah, I kind of guessed that was how you did it, Trevor: I’ve used a hard drive dock, myself.   I think I’ve still got it!   It’s one of the few things I’ve not sold to CeX.
        Oh, they’re sending it via DPD … ?   I don’t think I’ve had anything off them, from Amazon: so couldn’t tell you what they’re like.   You should be able to track it, here, though.

^        That’s possibly another film to add to my list, Debbi!   Saying that … ?   Candyman hits the VOD services in one Friday, and you know how I feel about that one … !

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Dante

Q2) 1321

Q3) Florence

Q4) Italian

Q5) Comedy
I'm sure I'd read about the gremlins in aviation before somewhere, and I'm sure you're right. Not letting me anywhere near a karaoke machine is a good decision. I've never gone near one, and as I don't drink alcohol, I'm unlikely to do it unless under duress or serious threat...
I had to go and pick up a book I'd ordered through Amazon (it arrived when I was out, of course) but from a third-party seller, one in the UK, and I had to pay the customs charges myself, and these were higher than the price of the book. Of course, no warning about that anywhere, and it was much slower than usual, so I'm never doing that again, thank you very much. (Thankfully, the book was small, otherwise, I have no idea how much I would have had to pay, not that I am sure how customs work). Well, as we've both agreed, Brexit was a great idea. I keep reading as well that there are problems with staff (waiters, taxi drivers, long-distance lorry drivers), and with certain deliveries (they had to ration the blood test tubes a few weeks ago), so yes... Not that any of that is being talked about here. I read it because I'm still getting newsletters and updates from UK forums, but...
Stay safe!

trev-v said...

A1 Dante
A2 1321
A3 Florence
A4 Italian
A5 Comedy

Well DPD delivered my new computer at about 13.30 but I have been dealing with a loft insulation surveyor for the past 40 minutes. Will see about setting up the new machine later this afternoon.

Freda said...

1 Dante
2 1321
3 Florence
4 Itaiian
5 The Divine Comedy

tulsi85 said...

Hi!
I'm back After a while :)

Here I go!

1. Dante
2. 1321
3. Florence
4. Italian
5. Comedy

Thanks for your daily trivia :)

Debbi said...

Indeed I do. :)

It's interesting. I've been doing video film reviews with a film lover in New York. We connected on Instagram! And Candyman is one he reviewed with a horror fan.

Anyway ... we have one coming up for In a Lonely Place, an old film noir, at some point.

1. Dante
2. 1321
3. Florence
4. Italian
5. Comedy

Oh, and I drove today. And yesterday! Yay for me. :)