Sunday 26 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 26th September, 2021

26th September, 2021


Did I mention I get tested for COVID-19, every month or so?

I get tested for COVID-19, every month our so: as part of the Office for National Statistics COVID-19 study.

Last time … ?

I tested positive for the condition.

Wouldn’t you know it?

I sneezed twice, coughed once and had a blocked nose.

You have to be grateful for vaccination, don’t you?

At ANY rate?

Having tested positive?

I had to isolate for ten days.

Thankfully?   That last day was yesterday.

I can now happily go for a walk.

I’m looking forward to that.

Frankly?

I need the fresh air.

~≈🦠≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Edith^, and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        26th September, 1944, saw British and Polish troops retreat south, across the Rhine.   It was the last day of the Battle of where: Arnhem, the Rhine or the Bulge?

Q2)        Serena Williams was born on 26th September, 1981.   Who’s her tennis playing older sister?

Q3)        William 2nd was crowned as King of England: on 26th September, 1087.   William was known as William what: Rufus, Chaka or Khan?

Q4)        Typhoon Vera made landfall in Japan: on 26th September of which year of the 1950s?

Q5)        West Side Story debuted on 26th September, 1957.   Where: Broadway, the West End or Grauman’s Chinese Theatre?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        TAT-1 was opened for business: on 25th September, 1956.   It was the world’s first submarine transatlantic, underwater what: navigation guide, telephone cable or camera?
A1)        Telephone cable.

Q2)        The first Marathon took place on 25th September, 1977.   The first Marathon, where: Chicago, New York or Seattle?
A2)        Chicago.

Q3)        25th September is the feast day of Saint Finbarr of where: Cork, Dublin or Galway?
A3)        Cork.

Q4)        Actor, producer and rapper, Will Smith, was born on 25th September, 1968.   In which TV series did he play Will Smith … ?
A4)        The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.   (All together, now: “Iiiiiiiin … West Philadelphia, born and raised … ”)

Q5)        Finally … ? Declan Donnelly was born on 25th September, 1975.   Who’s his usual comedy partner?
A5)        Ant McPartlin.
Here’s a thought … 
“Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal.”
T. S. Elliot, 26 September 1888 – 4 January 1965.
And a musical …


Altogether, now: “Gee, Offfficeeer Krupke!”

Ahem! Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        I hope he does, Olgaº: as Debbi pointed out, he does have a lot of awards.   I’m still not putting money on Olly Alexander: but I think RTD will hire someone he’s worked with.   (He already has: he’s co-producers have already worked with him, and on the show.)
        You know … someone I know on Facebook posted a joke about selfies.   Can I find it … ?
        Can I, heck … !
        (Cheers for RT’ing the Candyman review!)

        Erik Satie of Gymnopédie fame, Trevor?   Gary Numan did a version, many years ago!   (I hate loaning books out.   I don’t mind buying people books, but loaning them … ?)
 

        Hello, Mum.   (I should have that DVD done for you, at some point.)

^        It’s always good to get the brain going in the morning, Edith, isn’t it?   I’m glad to know my hard work’s appreciated.

ª        I think you’re right to be Debbi.   I’m just a touch old fashioned enough to hit by how unprecedented it is!   I’m also aware it’s going to alter the betting.   (I think Lydia West would be good: plus she’s worked with both Davies and Moffat.   I think it’s going to be someone RTD’s worked with before, whoever it is.)


º        Think I’ve found the joke, Olga.   Umm … 

6 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Arnhem

Q2) Venus Williams

Q3) Rufus

Q4) 1959

Q5) Broadway
Good news about your freedom regained! I hope the walk is nice. I'm sure it will feel nice no matter what.
I've read there is a new film version of West Side Story in the making, or rather, made, but not out yet, directed by Steven Spielberg (Tony Kushner's adaptation). I'm intrigued. I think the casting is more appropriate than in the original. We shall see.
Great joke about the selfies. People don't seem to have an ounce of common sense, though. I'm not sure if they mentioned it there, but a tourist here (a 24 y.o. from Ukraine, who went for a holiday in Benidorm, and was taking a selfie at a vantage point, by the sea, atop a cliff. She fell, and they had problems rescuing her already (bad sea and dangerous area), so she put others at risk as well, and after two or three days in the hospital, she died. I am not fond of taking pictures, and even less my own picture, to be honest, so this is beyond my comprehension. Poor family.

trev-v said...

A1 Arnhem
A2 Venus Ebony Starr Williams
A3 Rufus
A4 1959
A5 Broadway

Yes the Erik Satie of Gymnopédie fame. Years ago I loaned out one of the earliest Sci-fi books to a fellow worker. I think I changes jobs and forgot about it. About 4 years ago I was able to buy a copy on eBay. It was “Voyages to the Moon and the Sun” written by Cyrano de Bergerac in 1657.

Freda said...

1 Arnham
2 Venus
3 Refus
4 1959
5 Broadway

Edith said...

1 bulge
2. Venus
3. Khan
4. 1956
5 Broadway

Paul. thank goodness for your vaccination. Your smile is one of the reasons I came back to Twitter.

Debbi said...

I'm beginning to think we in the U.S. don't pay enough attention to the entertainment from other parts of the world. But there is, in fairness, an astonishing amount of good content out there! :)

1. Arnhem
2. Venus
3. Rufus
4. 1959
5. Broadway

Debbi said...

Wow! That seems like a fitting clip you embedded there! :)

Like I said before ... but we did get our version of The Office, eh? :)

Rick noticed one with Gillian Anderson on Netflix. Sex Education or something like that? I like Anderson. I remember an interview where she said she was a big fan of PiL for a while. :)