Monday, 7 November 2011

Wolf Creek: Blood, Guts … And the Flip-side of Crocodile Dundee

7th November, 2011.

I’ve REALLY got to start having company over at some point, I really have.

Because I’m THINKING an old friend would definitely enjoyed the movie I caught, tonight …

‹‹•››

Although I think we possibly would’ve caught ourselves arguing the proverbial toss about genres, I’m thinking, here.

You see, the film I saw was the 2005 independent, Australian film, Wolf Creek.

And … ?

And much like The Silence of the Lambs, it’s a film I’m thinking will be very hard to define.

Wolf Creek sees Nathan Phillips, Kerstie Morassi and Cassandra Magrath as backpackers Ben, Kristy and Liz.

A trio of backpackers who — when their car breaks down in the wilds of Wolf Creek National Park — are happy to accept help from the seemingly friendly ocker, Mikey, played by John Jarrett.

Seemingly friendly …

Appearances … can be very deceptive …

‹‹•››

I’ll happily admit, Wolf Creek is going to be one of those films that, much like Silence of the Lambs, will be casually branded as a horror for years to come.

And for pretty much the same reasons, I feel: the central character is one who terrifies us.

But — even more so than either the Hopkins or Cox take on Hannibal Lecter — is eminently human.

And without the using the usual horror touches of a gruesome childhood backstory, a virulent signature weapon and a hideously deformed Captain Kirk maskº.

I’m ALSO thinking Wolf Creek going to be even more of a Marmite* movie than most: it’s going to be either loved or hated by all and sundry.

Personally … ?

Personally, I came away very impressed with Wolf Creek.

I think you might be, as well …
Wolf Creek
★★★☆













* Just for the benefit of my regular international readers, Marmite is a savoury spread that usually gets put on toast: and, according to the adverts, it’s something you either love or hate. (I personally love it. Preferably on toast, made from crusty white bread: the slices of which have to be VERY thick, so that both butter — or margarine — and the Marmite itself, are melting VERY deeply into the slice. Anything else is just a HEATHEN monstrosity …)

º Or even a leather one …

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.