Tuesday, 7 February 2012

The Daily Teaser - 07-2-2012

You know, THAT’S a thought …

I should really have done a themed teaser, today, shouldn’t I … ?

Considering that today is the bicentenary of the birth of Charles Dickens*.

Although I’ve GOT to admit that I was over old friends, Gwen and Stef’s over the weekend: given they’re in Kent — and not far from Rochester, Dickens’s home town — I did try and persuade them to change their names to Mr and Mrs Fuzzipeg.

But I don’t think I impressed them.

Still, if nothing else … ?

I can suggest you try out this Dickensian name generator.

Just to see what you can come up with.

I think I’ve managed Wat Spangston, already.

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

««·»»

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mr Strict, Trevor AND Debbi putting in their answers: with Mr S being the strong and silent type, Trevor admitting to being something of a royalist, and Debbi admitting she was fine after that fallª, it ALSO saw all three of our regulars bagging 6 out of 6°.

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, license and video
Q1) 7th February, 1991, saw Haiti swear in it’s first democratically elected President: who was he … ?

Q2) More to the point, who was his predecessor as head of government … ?

Q3) 7th February, 1974, saw who claim to have kidnapped heiress, Patty Hearst … ?

Q4) 7th February, 1301, saw Edward of Cærnavon become the first English what … ?

Q5) 7th February, 1999, saw who become the King Of Jordan … ?

Q6) And finally … 7th February, 1964, saw The Beatles arrive in New York: on which TV show did they make their first scheduled US appearance … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 6th February, 2011, saw the death of which Belfast born guitarist … ?
A1) Gary Moore.

Q2) More to the point, which which singer did that guitarist record Parisienne Walkways … ?
A2) Phil Lynott.

Q3) 6th February, 1959, saw Jack Kilby patent what … ?
A3) The integrated circuit.

Q4) 6th February, 2005, saw who become the Labour Party’s longest serving Prime Minister … ?
A4) Tony Blair.

Q5) 6th February, 1819, saw the city of Singapore founded: by whom … ?
A5) Sir Stamford Raffles … ?

Q6) And finally … 6th February, 1958, saw the death of 21 people — including 7 members of Manchester United — in an air-crash in which city … ?
A6) Munich.
Enjoy those, everyone.

And honouring a couple of birthday’s today?

I’ll leave you with King Curtis’s Memphis Soul Stew


And with something from Oliver








* Apparently, he and his wife became estranged in 1858: after the birth of their ten children. Can’t say I blame her … !

ª Well, that’s SOMETHING, Debbi: but do you mind me keeping my fingers crossed, just in case … ?

° Hmmm … Three sixes … That’s POSSIBLY the cue for a song …

2 comments:

  1. Feel free to keep your fingers crossed, Paul. I can use all the good mojo there is to be had. :)

    I'll do the same for you, with respect to your job hunt. How's that?

    1. Jean-Bertrand Aristide
    2. Ertha Pascal-Trouillot
    3. the Symbionese Liberation Army
    4. Prince of Wales
    5. Hussein bin Talal
    6. The Ed Sullivan Show

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well … 

    It’s going slowly, yo be frank.

    Hopefully this Work Programme thing the Job Centre’s insisted I go will help.

    But I have to admit to being deeply cynical … 

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.