3rd April, 2012.
Hmm …
Now, I’ve got to confess, usually — if I’m seriously impressed by a film — I’ll usually be itching to start writing about it, straight away.
As you’re no doubt VERY aware, if you’ve read my write-up of Pontypool*.
At any rate, I have to admit to having had a quiet night in, last night.
Along with quite a lot of tea … and a copy of the 2007 David Fincher directed whodunnitº, Zodiac.
Which, despite not getting the
Immediate Post treatment, is definitely worth watching.
Based on Robert Graysmith’s non-fiction book of the same name — and dealing with the Zodiac murders™ of the late 1960s and early 1970s — Zodiac sees Jake Gyllenhaal as Robert Graysmith: a young cartoonist on the
San Francisco Chronicle who slowly becomes involved with the investigation of a series of killings, when his employers receive a letter.
A letter that claims to be from the killer, complete with details known only to the killer and the police AND a threat the killer will do something suitably nasty to a schoolbus.
That’s not all the killer sends
He ALSO includes a message in code, as well, with a challenge to decode it.
AND a piece of one victim’s shirt.
AND a running score … !
As the Robert Downey Jnr character, Paul Avery, puts it: “… he took credit for it anyway, because he's in it for the press.”
~≈†≈~
Now …
Let’s cutting to the chase, shall we … ?
You’re probably going to ask me something along the lines of “Paul, should I see Zodiac … ?”
My personal answer is going to be a very definite “Yes”.
Granted, I don’t think it’s as tense of Pontypool or Silence of the Lambs†.
But Zodiac is a very well paced thriller: and despite being over 157 minutes, a thoroughly engrossing one that kept me pinned to my seat.
Go see.
Zodiac
★★★☆
* If you’ve not seen Pontypool, you’ve missed a very good film. (I’m ALSO still um’ming and ah’ing about the 4 whole stars I gave it, it was that much of a toss up between 3.5 and 4. I went with four, purely on the basis I’ve not shut up about it, since … !)
º OK, it might not strictly be a whodunnit: I’ll leave the actually arguments to both regular movie night maven, Kevin D, and to regular commentor, Debbi Mack, who knows a thing or two about crime novels.
† Very few films have the emotional tension of Silence of the Lambs, in my humble opinion‡ … !
‡ Yes, I know that’s possibly the SILLIEST phrase ever invented: I’m always thinking the only time people use it, is to actually say “This is my opinion on the matter: I’m right, you’re not, and nothing else need be said.” Apart from when I do it, obviously … … … … … …
™ An unsolved series of murders … ? An unfound killer … ? And a series of letters to both press, police and assorted legal wonks, that take credit for the grisly deaths … ?
Ever heard the phrase deja vu?

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.