Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Precise Pangolin: the Latest Ubuntu Release

You know, it’s not THAT often I get to post, these day, about technology.

It really isn’t.

But right at the moment I’m thinking my eyeballs are — frankly — just about to pop out of my head.

But … 

Phew … !

Remember, this morning, I mentioned I was updating the operating system on my mother’s old desktop … ?

Well, I’ve finally managed to get it finished.

Or, get the actual install finished.

I’m now in the process of just doing the fiddly stuff: transferring over things like bookmarks, photos and files.

Which is — if not boring — then certainly time consuming!

‹‹·››

But just so you know … ?

I had originally gone with Kubuntu 12•04 Precise Pangolin, the most recent release of the Ubuntu variant: but found setting up extra user accounts just a touch too technical for my tastes.

So, me being me, and occasionally having a thing about brown … ?

I’ve decided to use Ubuntu 12•04 Precise Pangolin: mostly because the OS is the most user friendly of the bunch, and it’s one my family are familiar with.

Funnily … ?

I’ve also got a feeling it’s one I’m more comfortable with: as, since the 11•10 Oneiric Ocelot release, late last year, /the mainstream Ubuntu release seems to have gotten rather … familiar … lookingª.

Especially to someone, like me, who’s been using versions of Mac OS and Mac OS X for some years*.


I’ll be frank while I’m at it: if I may … ? 
I’ve got to be honest, this is actually the first fresh install — of anything — that I’ve done for a while.

Personally … ?

Personally, I’ve enjoyed it.

The ONE shame of it — and the one thing I’m very aware stops more people taking up the Ubuntu family of operating systems — is the simple fact that there’s no version of iTunes available for them.

Something I know has stopped Kevin from using using it.

And something I think is caused equally by both Apple — who do like to keep strict control on their products — AND Canonical, the makers of Ubuntu, who seem just as keen to make sure everything on Ubuntu meets both their and the Free Software Foundations, standards.

Oh, well … 

Here’s hoping the day comes sooner, rather than later … !




















*        And, yes, before you ask, I’d LOVE to be running Mac OS X 10•7•x, Lion on Bruce: but I seriously doubt he’d be able to take the pace … !

ª        I’ve actually had to stop myself using trackpad gestures setting up my account on Mum’s machine: typically for me, I’ve set the mouse up to be used left handedly.   There’s one or two other things.   The Workspaces feature in 12•04 feels reminiscent — to me — of Exposéº, and their Dashboard — down the side — is equally reminiscent of the OS X Dock, and Mac OS Launcher.   I also found the System Settings menu VERY helpful … And oddly familiar … !

º        On my older wired Apple mouse, I had the squeezy side buttons set to trigger this handy feature.   I was instinctively doing that with Pangolin … … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.