Thursday, 14 June 2012

The Daily Teaser — 14-6-2012

Hmmm … 

Remember I had an interview a couple of weeks ago … ?

I have to admit, I think I may have missed that one.

You see, I was told I’d hear, by the end of the week, whether I’d bagged it, or not.

That was the Tuesday before last.

I think I can safely say I’ve missed the boat, there.

That’s not to bad a thing.

The annoying bit … ?   Is not hearing I’d NOT be getting called up for the job.

Hmmm … 

Back to the grindstone, I think.

☰☷☰☷☰

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting her answers: along with nominating me for the One Lovely Blog Award*, also managed to bag 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 14th June, 1287, saw traditionalist forces in Mongolia and Manchuria defeated by whose army … ?
Q2) 14th June, 1966, saw the Vatican announce it was abolishing the Index of Forbidden Books.   In which year was the Index originally set up … ?
Q3) According to the World Health Organisation, 14th June is World what Day … ?
Q4) During World War 2, 14th June, 1940, saw German troops enter which city … ?
Q5) And finally … 14th June, 1961, saw ‘panda’ pedestrian crossings introduced to the UK: what was the name of their predecessor?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 13th June, 1934, saw Benito Mussolini met Adolf Hitler, for the first time: Mussolini is later said to have the Nazi dictator as a “silly little … ” what … ?
A1) Monkey.
Q2) 13th June, 1831, saw the birth of physicist, James Clerk Maxwell.   His famed equations describe what: the electromagnetic field, gravity, or subatomic particles?
A2) The electromagnetic field.   (There’s a version of Maxwell’s Equation used in Special Relativity: and is in terms of covariant field tensors.   Apparently … )
Q3) 13th June, 1955, saw the discovery of the first diamond mine in Soviet Russia: what’s the main chemical element in diamonds … ?
A3) Carbon.
Q4) 13th June, 1978, saw Israeli troops withdraw from which country … ?
A4) Lebanon.
Q5) And finally … 13th June, 1983, saw the Pioneer 10 leave the Solar System, by passing the planet furthest from the Sun: which planet was it … ?
A5) Neptune.
Enjoy those, everyone: as today see the birthday of Slade bassist, songwriter, violinist and backing vocalist, Jim Lea, I’ll leave you with one of Slade’sº better known tunes.

































*        Ooh, Ta, Debbi: THINK I’ll have to sit down and have a lot at those, later, and see what I come up with … !

º        You know, I have to admit, I never actually saw Slade’s classic line-up live.   Which is one HELL of a shame: the Glam era is supposed top have produced very few good live bands.   Slade were one of them.

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome! :) And nice tune by Slade! Brings back a few memories. :)

    1. Kublai Khan
    2. 1564
    3. World Blood Donor Day
    4. Paris
    5. zebra

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.