Monday, 15 October 2012

The Daily Teaser — 15-10-2012

Well, there’s a thing.

Not only is today the 25th Anniversary of the Great Storm Of 1987 — I remember that Storm, quite something, that — but also the day after skydiver Felix Baumgartner jumped out of a capsule dangling off a weather balloon.

That was 24 miles up.

Good for him.

Although I don’t think it’s something I’d be doing.

For one thing, I’m scared of heights.

For another, I’d be too worried about the word ‘splat’ being involved at some point.

Still … 


More power to him!

Let’s get moving on, shall we?

~~~~~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers.   Along with mentioning that trouserlessness at Liverpool Street wasn’t necessarily a good idea, also managing to score 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 15th october, 1888, saw investigators receive a letter from where … ?   
Q2) More the the point, who — apparently — wrote that letter … ?   
Q3) 15th October, 1956, saw which programming language available to programmers: FORTRAN, Basic or Python … ?   
Q4) 15th October, 1964, saw which Russian, suddenly retire … ?   
Q5) 15th October, 1987, saw Sir Penaia Ganilau resign as Commonwealth Governor General of where … ?   
Q6) And finally … 15th October, 1987, saw the Great Storm of 1987 hit the UK.   How much did this eventually cost insurers: £2 billion, £3 billion or £4 billion … ?  
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 14th October, 1969, saw the introduction of the 50p piece: how many edges does the 50p piece have … ?   
A1) 7.
Q2) More to the point, which note was the 50p piece designed to replace … ?   
A2) The Ten Shilling note.
Q3) EQUALLY to the point … how many shillings made up a pound, in pre-decimal British currency … ?    
A3) 20.
Q4) Moving on … 14th October, 1656, saw the colony of Massachusetts ban which religious group … ?    
A4) The Society of Friends: or Quakers, as they’re also known …
Q5) 14th October, 1962, saw a U2 spy-plane overfly — and take famous photos of missiles on — which Caribbean island?   
A5) Cuba.
Q6) And finally … 14th October, 1926, saw the first publication of Winnie the Pooh: who wrote Winnie the Pooh … ?   
A6) A. A. Milne.
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with a line from Virgil, shall I … ?
“Equo ne credite, Teucri.
quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.”: translated as “Do not trust the horse, Trojans. Whatever it is, I fear the Grecians, even bearing gifts.”
Virgil, October 15, 70 BC – September 21, 19 BC
And, as it’s ALSO Chris De Burgh’s birthday … ?

I thought it’s worth digging up the one song of his that banned in his native Ireland … 




















*        Did I just invent the word ‘trouserlessness’, there, Debbi … ?   But, anyway, it’s not just that that’s the problem: it’s getting to Liverpool Street from Brentwood, in a state of trouserlessnessº that’s going to be entertaining … !

º        nessnessnessnessnessnessnessness … Yeah, I’ll leave that RIGHT there … !

1 comment:

  1. That's like me with the word TARDISeseses: http://mackthewriter.wordpress.com/2012/07/30/10000-hours/ Ha ha ha ...

    1. Hell
    2. Jack the Ripper
    3. FORTRAN
    4. Nikita Khrushchev
    5. Fiji
    6. £2 billion

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.