Thursday, 22 November 2012

The Daily Teaser — 22-11-2012

You know, I think I’m right: I mentioned, yesterday, that the Church of England’s going to need a lot of negotiating, after the Women Bishop votes.

I think I’m right.

Oh, yes.

I’ve got Radio 4’s Today show on: they have, as usual for this time of day, just had Thought For the Day on.

By the sound of it … ?   The C of E bishop they had speaking didn’t sound pleased the vote had failed … !

I think THAT’S going to run: but let’s move on, shall we … ?

««·»»

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers.   Along with telling us she’s just posted the Officially Weird Thanksgiving post, she also managed to bag 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Teaser, shall we?   Here’s those questions, along with the ‘How To’, license and video … 

Q1) 22nd November, 1995, saw the release of the first film to be entirely made using computer generated imagery: which film was it … ?
Q2) More to the point, who played Sarge, in that movie … ?
Q3) Name the studio who made that film … 
Q4) Moving on … 22nd November, 1869, saw the launch of what’s now the only surviving tea-clipper on Earth: what’s it called … ?
Q5) More to the point, that clipper is named after a witch in which Robert Burns poem … ?
Q6) 22nd November, 1908, saw the standardization of which alphabet: the Albanian, the Belgian or the Croatian … ?
Q7) And finally … 22nd November, 1988, saw the formal unveiling of the B-2 Spirit.   How is this better — or more notoriously — known … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 21st November, 1905, saw the publication of the paper that introduced E=mc² to the world.   By which scientist … ?
A1) Albert Einstein.
Q2) More to the point, in which country was this paper published … ?
A2) Germany: in the Annalen der Physik.
Q3) Moving on … 21st November, 1922, saw Rebecca Latimer Felton become the only woman to serve as US Senator from which US state … ?
A3) Georgia.   (She famously supported Women’s Suffrage … whilst encouraging white Americans to lynch black Americans.   Bit of a contradiction.)
Q4) 21st November, 1970, saw Operation Ivory Coast, a joint US airforce and army exercise to free US what … ?
A4) Prisoners of War.   (I have to ask … Where DOES Sylvester Stallone get his plots from … ????????)
Q5) 21st November, 1969, saw the first permanent ARPANET link become active, between Stanford’s research facility in Menlo Park … and which US university … ?
A5) UCLA.
Q6) And finally … 21st November, 1953, saw the British Museum announced what was a hoax … ?
A6) Piltdown Man.
Enjoy those, everyone: as it’s the late Hoagy Carmichæl’s birthday, I’ll leave you with something a touch jazzy … 


And with this quote from George Elliot …
“But veracity is a plant of paradise, and the seeds have never flourished beyond the walls.”
Mary Anne Evans: AKA George Eliot, 22 November 1819 – 22 December 1880
Oh … 

Yesterday’s teaser mentioned Albert Einstein: who, conveniently, is possibly the only scientist you can sing about … 


Oh, as we’re Landscaping … 


Have fun with those … 











*        Just finished reading it, before I got started, Debbi: you’re not so bad yourself … ! :D   Oh, and BEFORE I forget, Happy Thanksgiving: don’t over do the turkey … !

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Paul! :D We went out for dinner with Rick's mom and didn't overeat. I did have a glass of wine to celebrate an awesome year. I feel lucky, considering everything. :)

    1. Toy Story
    2. R. Lee Ermey
    3. Pixar
    4. Cutty Sark
    5. Tam o' Shanter
    6. the Albanian
    7. the Stealth Bomber

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.