Friday, 18 January 2013

The Daily Teaser — 18-1-2013

AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH … !

I can’t believe it!

I forgot to put my alarm on … !

AND got up late … !

AND got a reasonable night’s sleep … !

AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH
… !

Yeah … I think I’d better get a move on, hadn’t I … ?

~~~~~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with suggesting I’d be able to make some extra dosh*, she also bagged 5 out 7.

Let}s see how she — and you — do with today’s Teaser, shall we?

Here it is, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 18th January, 2012, saw which website undergo a voluntary blackout, in protest at US anti-piracy legislation … ?
Q2) 18th January, 1967, saw the Boston Strangler — Albert DeSalvo — sentenced to life imprisonment.   Who played De Salvo in the 1968 film, The Boston Strangler … ?
Q3) 18th January, 1993, was the first time which day is celebrated in all 50 states of the USA … ?
Q4) 18th January, 2005, saw the formal unveiling of what was then the world’s largest commercial jetliner: which plane was it … ?
Q5) And finally … 18th January, 1994, saw a — possible — meteoroid impact near the small village of Cando.   In which country is Cando … ?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 17th January, 1946, saw which UN body have its first meeting … ?
A1) The UN Security Council.
Q2) More to the point, how many non-permanent members does that body have … ?
A2) Five.
Q3) Name any of the current non-permanent members … 
A3) Argentina, Australia, Rwanda, Luxembourg and South Korea.
Q4) Moving on … 17th January, 1983, saw the BBC first air its Breakfast TV show.   What was the name of the show … ?
A4) Breakfast Time.
Q5) Equally to the point, what was the name of the rival ITV breakfast show … ?
A5) Good Morning Britain.
Q6) 17th January, 1977, saw the USA end its moratorium on execution: by executing which killer … ?
A6) Gary Gilmour.
Q7) And finally … 17th January, 2007, saw the famous Doomsday Clock set at five minutes to midnight: in response to which country’s nuclear tests … ?
A7) North Korea.

I’ll leave you with this quote from A. A. Milne.
“I wrote somewhere once that the third-rate mind was only happy when it was thinking with the majority, the second-rate mind was only happy when it was thinking with the minority, and the first-rate mind was only happy when it was thinking.”   
A. A. Milne, 18 January 1882 – 31 January 1956
And with this tune from The Temptations: as it’s David Ruffin’s birthday … 















*        Yep, that’s the term, Debbi!   Actually, have you seen the Wikipedia entry on money slang … ?   Some of the Indian and Russia terms are eye-watering.   There’s one Indian slang phrase that translates as suitcase: mostly because THAT’S what you need to carry that amount of money … !

1 comment:

  1. Most interesting! :) I always pick up fascinating tidbits of info from your blog.

    1. Wikipedia
    2. Tony Curtis
    3. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
    4. Airbus A380
    5. Spain

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.