Wednesday, 13 March 2013

The Daily Teaser — 13-3-2013

Blimey … !   I have to admit, I’ve got the US version of Who Do You Think You Are on in the background.

With Rob Lowe, I should add.   Turns’ out his great-great-great-great-great-grandfather fought in the US War of Independence.

On the British side.   Well … turns out the chap was a German mercenary, placed under UK command to fight the beastly rebels.

Phew … !

And to think I was going to try poke fun at the Papal Conclave by seeing if a bunch of Cardinals had gone Gangnam Style.

Shame this video was the nearest I could find … 


Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

~~~~~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers.   Along with bagging five out of five, she also let me know she’s left me a reply to my comment*.

But let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 13th March, 1639, saw Harvard College named for clergyman, John Harvard: in which US state is Harvard … ?
Q2) More to the point, who wrote the song, Fight Fiercely, Harvard … ?
Q3) 13th March, 2008, saw the price of gold — on the New York Mercantile Exchange — hit how much per ounce: $1000, $1500 0r $2000 … ?
Q4) 13th March, 1969, saw which Apollo craft return to Earth … ?
Q5) 13th March, 1983, saw Joshua Nkomo flee his country, after receiving death threats.   Nkomo was the opposition leader in which African country … ?
Q6) Finally … 13th March, 1884, saw the start of the Siege of Khartoum: which British General led one of the armies involved … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 12th March, 1971, saw the sending of the March 12 Memorandum: this triggered a coup in which country … ?
A1) Turkey.
Q2) 12th March, 1993, saw bombs go off in which Indian city … ?
A2) Bombay: what’s now Mumbai.
Q3) 12th March, 1999, saw three former Warsaw Pact nations join NATO: name one of them …
A3) The Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland..
Q4) More to the point, what is NATO an acronym for … ?
A4) North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
Q5) And finally … 12th March, 1947, saw President Harry S. Truman announce the Truman Doctrine.   What was he speaking against: Capitalism, Communism or Nazism … ?
A5) Communism.
I’ll leave you with a thought from snooker player, Stephen ‘On Fire’ Maguire …
“I forgot what it felt like to be a winner at the end of a tournament, it’s the best feeling ever.”Stephen Maguire, born 13th March, 1981.
And with a tune from song from birthday boy and pianist, Neil Sedaka … 


Enjoy your day … 








*        I’ll go have a look in a bit, Debbi, I’ve a bit of a busy one, today: signing on, the Weekly Teaser … !  Yada, yada, yada … !

1 comment:

  1. Ah, but of course! :) And I got your LinkedIn invite. Thanks! I didn't know you were in the retail business.

    1. Massachusetts
    2. Tom Lehrer
    3. $1,000
    4. Apollo 9
    5. Zimbabwe
    6. Charles George Gordon

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.