Friday, 19 April 2013

The Daily Teaser — 19-4-2013

Hmmm … 

That’s commendably fast.

Just so you know, I’m talking about the FBI’s investigation into the Boston Bombings.   They’ve released footage and footages of two suspects — both in hats, both seen placing bags in the relevant areas — to all of the relevant news agencies.

Including the BBC, of course: although I don’t know if there’s much we can do, here … 

One can only hope: and hope that current events at the MIT campus has nothing to do with it … 

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

«—o—»

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi*º putting in her answers.   Along with letting us know a little more about PiL’s first album* — Public Image: First Issue, as it’s now known — and bagging five out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they area, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 19th April — in the UK — is Primrose Day: which British PM does this commemorate … ?
Q2) Just out of interest … ?   What’s the scientific name for the Primrose … ?
Q3) 2005 saw Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger elected as Pope Benedict 16th: what title does he now hold … ?
Q4) More to the point, who replaced him as Pope, in 2013 … ?
Q5) Moving on … 19th April, 1954, saw the relevant authorities in Pakistan name its two official languages.   Name either … 
Q6) 19th April 19th, 1971, saw the launch of the Salyut 1, the world’s first space station: by the USSR.   How many Salyut’s have there been … ?
Q7) And finally … 19th April, 1999, saw the German Bundestag — the German parliament — open in which German city … ?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers.
Q1) 18th April, 1930, saw the BBC Radio service announce nothing newsworthy, worth broadcasting, had happened: what did they broadcast, instead … ?
A1) Piano music.
Q2) Many years earlier, 18th April, 1881, saw who escape the Lincoln County Jail, in New Mexico … ?
A2) William H. Bonney: also known as William Henry McCarty and Billy the Kid.
Q3) 18th March, 1899, saw Queen Victoria grant a royal charter to the St. Andrew’s Ambulance Service: in which country of the UK does it operate … ?
A3) Scotland.
Q4) 18th March, 2002, saw the death of Norwegian ethnographer, Thor Heyerdahl.   What was the name of the boat he crossed the Pacific in, in 1947 … ?
A4) Kon-Tiki.
Q5) And finally … 18th April, 1955, saw the death of Albert Einstein.   For what did he receive his one Nobel Prize: the special theory of Relativity, the photoelectric effect or the mass-energy equivalence effect formula … ?
A5) The photoelectric effect.

Enjoy those.

I’ll leave you with this song from Alan Price … 


And this thought from Jayne Mansfield …
“I don’t want to get involved in the racial situation at the expense of losing fans. I wouldn’t say anything too strong but I do know that God created us equal and we’re not living up to it.”
Jayne Mansfield, April 19, 1933 – June 29, 1967
Enjoy today.










*        Oh, I’ve looked up the Wikipedia entry for it, Debbi: seemingly, it got cancelled.   Apparently because Warner Brothers, the bands US label, were never especially happy with it.

º        About that ‘No News’ thing, Debbi … ?   They couldn’t get away with it, today, could they … ?   I mean they’d have to do something, even if it’s just about Great Aunt Nellie’s funeral … !

1 comment:

  1. I suppose you're right. Too bad, huh?

    1. Benjamin Disraeli
    2. Primula vulgaris
    3. Pope Emeritus
    4. Francis
    5. Urdu and English
    6. 9
    7. Berlin

    I have a very exciting idea for a screenplay, involving a time traveling, adventurous female protagonist. I'm thinking it over, outlining it and so on. Finally, I'm exploring sci-fi a little bit. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.