Sunday, 27 April 2014

Ender’s Game — Mark Kermode Was Right …

*Spoilers*
26th April, 2014.
Yeah … 

OK … 

That’s possibly one way to open a post about a film: with that sort of title.

Mentioning a film: and a film critic in the title of a post about a film.

But … ?

Well, I’ve just seen the rented the recent DVD release, the Gavin Hood film, Ender’s Game, which starred Asa Butterfield and Harrison Ford.

And think that critic, Mark Kermode has a good point to make, in the various reviews he’s done of it.

Somewhere in the competently done Ender’s Game, are some interesting ideas.

Hmmm … I think I’ll sleep on that.   I can maybe tell you why I agree, when my eyeballs have stopped aching … !

~≈©≈~
27th April, 2014.
OK, OK … !   I meant to get started on this, this morning: rather than this EVENING!

What can I tell you … ?

Or say … ?

Apart from apologise, that is … ?

Oh …

And tell you I’ve just had a lot at the various statistics that Google provides me: which includes a list of countries where most of my readers are.

If I’ve read them correctly … ?

Well, most of my audience is in the US.   Thank you, America, I’m grateful, and appreciative.

The second biggest … ?   Is here in the UK: thank you, everyone!

The real oddity is the country in third place.

It’s the Ukraine.

Thank you, Ukraine.

I’m both surprised — very surprised —and very grateful.

Although I wish I could say so in Ukrainian!   You’ll take the thought as the deed, I hope.


I can only hope events in the country leave it relatively unscathed.

~≈©≈~

At ANY rate … ?

At any rate, I was going to carry on telling you about last night’s film, wasn’t I … ?

The 2013, Gavin Hood directed Sci-fi feature, Ender’s Game.

Based on the Orson Scott Card novel of the same name, Ender’s Game sees Asa Butterfield as title character, Ender Wiggin: an unusually gifted child in training — in various space stations — for a heavily anticipated invasion.

One anticipated by Colonel Hyrum Graff — Harrison Ford — who has high hopes for Ender’s future as a commander in Earth’s battle against the Formics: the aliens who nearly destroyed Earth, 50 years earlier, and who Earth’s space fleet are trying to destroy.

Trying …

And succeeding, as, part way through Ender’s Game, we find that the last simulation Ender and his friends have to face, isn’t a simulation.

Ender and his team are effectively tricked into committing genocide … … … …

~≈©≈~
28th April, 2014.
Blimey, a THIRD day … ?

Yeah … it’s been that sort of few days

Including the information I got, Saturday night.   I’ve got an interview, this coming Wednesday!

Which, given I had to go to Basildon, today, anyway … ?

Meant the least I could do, was pick up a new pair of trousers and a shirt, from BHS, would you believe?   Possibly the only place I could get a pair of trousers to fit.   Off-the-peg, I should add!

~≈©≈~

At any rate … ?

You’ll notice I state I think Mark Kermode was right in his description of Ender’s Game.



If I’ve understood him correctly … ?

He’s thinking it’s an interesting film.  Not perfect, but interesting.   Essentially reminding us that many armies rely on one simple thing to do their job.

They turn young men — very young men, in Ender’s case — into psychotic killers.

There’s a very illustrative quote, from just after the big event, I think that says it better than I could, though.

Colonel Graff, in no uncertain terms, tells Ender “We won! That’s all that matters.”

Ender simply replies “No. The way we win matters.”

Now, I realise many gay science fiction fans will — understandably — disagree, when I say this.

But I feel that whatever one thinks of Orson Scott Card’s view of gay marriage — I find his view to be old fashioned, to say the least — this version of his classic novel† … ?

Well, I’m with Mr Kermode, here: it certainly warrants a look.
Ender’s Game
★★★☆














†        Something I think of as Fry Thinking.   Bless, Stephen Fry — national treasure, comedian, actor,  — did a documentary, a fews ago, now: about Richard Wagner‡.   Mr Fry’s a fan of Wagner: but being Jewish, very aware the guy had a reputation as an anti-semite, and was idolised by Adolf Hitler.   I know I came away with the view that Mr Fry came away with had taken a long time to form his views: that the stains on the tapestry can’t be ignored, but have to be viewed as PART of the thing.

I just hope that makes sense … !

‡        The documentary’s called Wagner and Me: and right now, I’m thinking I want to track down a copy.   I think I’d like to review the piece, and Stephen Fry’s views on how to reconcile liking an artist’s work: while finding the artist, or their politics, objectionable.

2 comments:

  1. Enders game is a great film with some fantastic acting from the lead character. Im hoping and believe we'll be seeing more of him in the future. The storyline was great and just like a gripping book I was eager to know what was going to happen next. It wasn't a predictable cliché and I'll be watching it again today definitely 8/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, pointless trivia for you, Carly: Asa Butterfield, who played Ender … ?

    Popped up in BBC tv version of Merlin, as a very young Mordred.

    Just so you know … !!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.