Wednesday, 18 June 2014

The Daily Teaser — 18-6-2014

Hmmm … 

I have to admit to liking repeats, occasionally.

I’ve got one on in the back ground, now, actually: part 2 of Fossil Wonderland.

Mostly discussing feathered dinosaurs, including our old friend, Archaeopteryx: something I was taught was the first bird, but that we now believe to have been to have been more of a link between dinosaurs and birds.

Fascinating stuff to watch.

But, after a throw away comment from the presenter, I can’t help but wonder one thing.

Did Archaeopteryx taste of chicken?

Well, you have to ask, don’t you … ?

~≈Ç≈~
Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Debbi* and Pink Fluff† putting in their answers: with Fluff bagging seven out of ten, and Debbi scoring eight, the day saw Debbi inching ahead by a point.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 18th June, 1965, saw the UK government introduce a drink driving limit: of 80 milligrams of alcohol, per 100 cc of what … ?
Q2) More to the point, in which year was the breathalyser introduced?
Q3) 18th June, 2006, saw which Stan launch its first satellite … ?
Q4) 18th June, 2009, saw NASA launch a robot spacecraft: at what object?
Q5) 18th June, 2012, saw Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud named as Crown Prince of where … ?
Q6) Finally … 18th June, 1941, saw the birth of Britain’s best-selling cookery author.   Who is she?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 17th June, 1944 — 70 years ago, today — saw Iceland become a republic: after severing formal ties from which country’s monarchy?
A1) Denmark’s.
Q2) Technically, Iceland had been a kingdom: since which year of the 20th Century … ?
A2) 1918.   (It had been effectively independent: but in personal union with the Danish King.)
Q3) What’s the name of Iceland’s Parliament … ?
A3) The Alþingi: or Althing, if you prefer the Anglicized version.   (It’s technically, the oldest Parliament on the planet.)
Q4) The head of the Icelandic government is the Icelandic Prime Minister.   The head of state is … ?
A4) The Icelandic President: the office is currently held by Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson.
Q5) Is the President’s last name a surname … ?
A5) No.   In common with most Icelanders, the President’s name is a patronymic: it’s based on his father’s first name.   If I’ve understood it correctly, his children would use the patronymic, Ólafursson or Ólafursdottir.   (Some Icelanders — like singer, Björk — have a matronymic, taken from there mothers names: Björk’s full name is Guðmundsdóttir.)
Q6) The Church of Iceland is what: Anglican, Lutheran or Methodist … ?
A6) Lutheran.
Q7) Which Chess player made his home in Iceland in the last years of his life?
Q8) Icelandic singer, Emilíana Torrini, recorded Gollum’s Song: for which of the Lord Of The Rings films?
Q9) Askja, Hekla and Laki are all Icelandic what: cities, volcanoes or mountains?
A9) Volcanoes.
Q10) Finally … what’s Iceland’s capital city?
A10) Reykjavík.
I’ll leave you with this song … 


Along with this thought from Thabo Mbeki …
“By all means, let's work together.”
Thabo Mbeki, born 18th June, 1942.
Which is a good excuse to play this … 


Have a good day … !
















*        Yes, Ma’am … ! :D

†        Well, the last one was spotted in 1854, Fluff: and the glacier is Vatnajökull.

1 comment:

  1. Okay!

    1. blood
    2. 1954
    3. Pakistan
    4. Pluto
    5. Saudi Arabia
    6. Delia Smith

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.