Thursday, 3 December 2015

The Daily Teaser — 3-12-2015: Another Fine Mess

Hmmm … 

Which is an especially thoughtful way of putting it.

But … ?   As I’m sure you’re aware, British MPs voted, last night, to take part in bombing raids on IS targets in Syria.

Personally … ?

I’m not convinced that’s a good idea.   I don’t know that I followed ALL of the arguments, nor do I think I’ve seen ALL of the evidence.

I don’t feel as strongly about it as I did about Tony Blair’s Iraq War: but I’m still not convinced it’s the right thing to do.

I’m ALSO think that David Cameron and company have not put down any plans — from what I could see — for what’s supposed to happen, AFTER any such raids are done with.   Given we have a government that’s made a big thing of making cuts in public services?   I think the current Tory administration spending money on this bombing campaign is unjustified: and somewhat hypocritical.

Especially given they made no statement — from what I saw of yesterday’s debate — about the ongoing cost, or of when Britain’s forces would stop bombing.

There’s also the argument this would ‘protect’ Britain from IS.   I know at least one of the 7/7 bombers stated their reasons blamed Britain’s actions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I’ll happily admit, IS — IS Daish, or whatever we’re calling them, this week — are a nasty peace of work.   And likewise admit I have no idea of any alternative.

But can’t help but feel this is a mistake … 

~≈fi≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* and Olga† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 3rd December saw the release of the first Laurel and Hardy film: in which year of the 1920s?
Q2) The film was called Putting Pants on whom: Phillip, Phyllis or Fred?
Q3) The whom concerned, needed pants — or trousers, for those of us who aren’t American — as he was constantly wearing what: a skirt, a sarong or a kilt?
Q4) Putting Pants was the first time Laurel and Hardy were credited as a team.   They first worked together on The Lucky Dog, when: 1920, 1921 or 1922?
Q5) Was Putting Pants a silent film?
Q6) Unaccustomed As We Are was one of the pair’s early talkies. When was it released: 1927, 1929 or 1931?
Q7) Their first feature film was released in 1931.   What was it called: Excuse Us, Pardon Us or Pardon Me?
Q8) Laurel and Hardy’s fan club takes its name from what’s arguably their best film.   The film’s called The Sons Of The … what?
Q9) Which of the pair was English: Stan Laurel or Oliver Hardy?
Q10) Finally … the other half of the pair was from which US state?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 2nd December, 1971, saw the formal founding of the United Arab Emirates.   Name any of the member Emirates.
A1) Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah and Umm al-Quwain.
Q2) Barney Clark became the first person to receive an artificial heart: on 2nd December, 1982.   At a University in which US state?
A2) Utah.
Q3) The Touro Synagogue was dedicated: on 2nd December, 1763.   The first synagogue in what was to become the USA is in what’s now which US state?
Q4) 2nd December, 1942, saw a team start the world’s first self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction: at the Manhattan Project.   The team was led by which noted Italian physicist?
Q5) Finally … The Ford Motor Company started selling its replacement for the Model T: on 2nd December, 1927.   What WAS that replacement?
A5) The Model A.
I’ll leave you with an old joke of Stan and Ollie’s …
Ollie: Call me a cab.

Stan: You’re a cab.
And possibly the only embeddable version of this tune I could find … 


Oh, and this …


Have a good day!





















*        BLAST!   I missed it, Debbi!   I’ll get looking when I get home from work!

†        I just about managed all of mine, Olga: I think I’ve one of two more to get, and I’m done for this year.   (I’ve got to admit, I did a bit of haggling, setting up my connection: I don’t use BT’s TV service, or their mobile phone services, which helps.   I can’t help but think something’s gone wrong, somewhere, though … )

2 comments:

  1. Q1) 1927
    Q2) Phillip
    Q3) A kilt
    Q4) 1921
    Q5) Yes
    Q6) 1929
    Q7) Pardon Us
    Q8) Desert
    Q9) Stan Laurel
    Q10) Georgia
    Probably... Bizarre things seem to happen. I have BT's mobile too (as I use it little and it allows me to use their wifi via phone. Only £5 a month).
    I agree with you on your argument. I'm not sure what the answer is but..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Paul! :)

    1. 1927
    2. Philip
    3. a kilt
    4. 1921
    5. yes
    6. 1929
    7. Pardon Us
    8. Desert
    9. Stan Laurel
    10. Georgia

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.