21st January, 2018.
No, really, I’m a duck … !
Yeah … quack, quack … !
Ahem … !
Just in case you hadn’t realised … ?
That’s me in that introduction.
Fresh off of tonight’s movie action.
~≈§≈~
Let me briefly introduce myself, here, if I can … ?
My name’s Paul: also known — for various reasons — as Nik Nak.
I’m — currently — working in a call centre: but have worked in pubs, fast food gaffs, toyshops … and ran pub quizzes.
I’ve also blogged about all and sundry: for the past decade.
It’s a movie that I’ve watched, tonight.
Something I’d fancied seeing, as two previous Aronovsky films — π and Black Swan — had mildly impressed me.
And?
Strange … ?
~≈§≈~
mother! is set in a house in an isolated glade: owned by an unnamed poet — only referred to as Him, played by Javier Bardem — that’s been burnt down by a fire.
And being reconstructed by his equally unnamed wife — referred to as mother, and played by Jennifer Lawrence — who’s throughly enjoying the quiet life.
Until one day … ?
Their lives are interrupted by uninvited guests.
A dying, equalling unnamed, doctor — ‘Man’, played by Ed Harris — and his wife, ‘Woman,’ Michelle Pfeiffer.
Which is where …
Things …
Get …
Disjointed …
And mother’s life is irreparably changed …
~≈§≈~
Now …
Strange … ?
Strange is the word.
Or one word, certainly.
The other one I’d use?
Is ‘dream-like.’
Aronovsky has written and directed mother! so that it comes across with the disjointedness of a waking dream, with jumps from one line to another, Him disappearing from one door to come in at another, and discussions and conversations taking different directions: seemingly at random, and seemingly with no apparent cause.
mother get’s abruptly pregnant, for example: immediately after after a tastefully rough bedroom scene.
Him writing a poem which never, seemingly, leaves the house … only for his publisher to phone to say how much she liked it.
Leaving mother very confused: as this is seconds after she’s given her opinion of it.
Confusing?
Well made?
The answer’s got to be yes: to both questions.
~≈§≈~
Now …
You’re possibly saying “Paul, what did you think of mother! … ?”
Oh, that’s a tough one.
Frankly?
That really is tough …
Right now, I don’t know that I could tell you I liked it.
It is very well made: with — possibly — a lot of depth, meaning, and philosophy there, if you chose to look for it.
But I think it’s a film I found mildly confusing.
Not that I mind confusing, occasionally. I’m a fan of 1960s version of The Prisoner, which some will tell you is incredibly confusing.
And of Denis Potter’s The Singing Detective: which some will tell you is just as confusing.
Not that I mind confusing, occasionally. I’m a fan of 1960s version of The Prisoner, which some will tell you is incredibly confusing.
And of Denis Potter’s The Singing Detective: which some will tell you is just as confusing.
Both of which? Both of which I found straight-forward, compared to mother!: even though both The Prisoner and mother! — in their final scenes — loop back around to their respective starts, after convoluted finales.
Personally?
mother!’s only getting two stars from me.
It’s a well crafted movie: and one that is, with its dreamlike logic, worth watching at least once.
You might take to it.
But, ultimately?
mother! wasn’t for me.
mother!
★★☆☆

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.