Saturday, 19 October 2019

Kidulthood — A Review

19th October 2019.


It’s a Saturday night.

It is a Saturday night, isn’t it … ?

Yes: it is.

I suppose everyone of us is allowed amount of doubt, trepidation and uncertainty.

Especially on a quiet night in: when you have little cash, little to do

But at least have access to a large collection of films you’ve not seen: and an Apple TV to watch them on.

And something experimental you think you should try: if you get around to watching a movie

Yes: I’m on YouTube.

And yes, I’m a YouTube partner.

Yes: I’d like to make money from any ads that get placed on them.


And yes: I’m thinking I should maybe add video content to my channel where I review films.

Or, at least, point Youtube viewers at the reviews I post here.


Point A?   Let me know if the extra video does something.

Point B?   I’ve just watched a fantastic film.

Point C … ?   The film in question is the Noel Clarke penned Kidulthood.

Point D … ?   I’m impressed with Kidulthood … !

~≈†≈~

Directed by Menhaj Huda and penned by Noel Clarke, Kidulthood follows a group teens in West London.

It sees Katie (Rebecca Martin) getting heavily bullied at school …


And, once at home?

Locking herself in her room, only to be found hours later, hanging from the light fitting …

The following day … ?

Sees Trevor — Trife* (Aml Ameen) — meeting with his Uncle Curtis (Cornell John): so he can pass on a replica gun that’s been converted into a real one.

The rest of the day … ?

Sees Trife spending his day with friends Moony and Jay (Femi Oyeniran and Adam Deacon) … whilst Alisa (Red Madrell), his on again, off again, girlfriend deals with the fact she is pregnant by him …

And whilst her best friend, Becky (Jaime Winstone) organises things in a way Alisa really didn’t want to know about.

All this … ?

All this and Sam (Noel Clarke) is doing the rounds: angry after being blamed for Alisa’s pregnancy, implicated in Katie’s death … and looking for trouble as a result.

The party that everyone has been invited to?

Is going to end in tears …

~≈†≈~

Now …

Am I impressed with Kidulthood?

Yes I am.

There’s a bunch of sympathetic, but dangerous teens, serious villains — in the shape of Clarke’s Sam, and Cornell’s Uncle Curtis† — passersby who — like so many in the real world — who walk on by.

The directing … ?

The cinematography?

The editing?

Soundtrack … ?

Not least, Clarke’s writing‡?

All superb: all blending together to remind us that the disenfranchised forced into crime aren’t far away.

Literally, in my case.

That dawn was on the block of flats next to mine: some of the kids involved little older than the characters in Kidulthood.

I think, right now?

Kidulthood’s story of disposed youth struggling to face responsibilities their not yet capable of understanding?

Is both relevant.

True to life.

And incredibly watchable.
Kidulthood

★★★★





*        It rhymes with tribe.

†        I’ve seen some nasty on screen villains, in my time.   Cornell, as Curtis?   Is scary … and unnervingly realistic.   There’s people like Uncle Curtis I’ve served in pubs.

‡        I’ve said it before, and will no doubt say it, again: I see Noel Clarke’s involved in a film, I know I’m going to see something that’s solid entertainment.   Kidulthood is entertaining … and riveting … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.