27th December, 2019.
You know, now Christmas is over … ?
I have to admit to feeling less stressed.
I get occasional bouts of depression.
The job situation doesn’t help.
I can mostly deal with it.
But Christmas does get one felling glum …
~≈†≈~
On the upside … ?
On the upside, and courtesy of Christmas gift-cards?
I’ve got seem Dr Who blu-ray’s coming my way.
And a copy of Moorcock’s Oswald Bastable series.
And, sitting in the movie collection … ?
A copy of the 2019, Todd Phillips directed, Joaquin Phoenix film, Joker.
Do we have a good film?
Well …
~≈†≈~
Joker introduces us to Arthur Fleck: a man struggling to support himself and his ill mother, Penny (Frances Conroy) by working as a clown.
Working hard — at the start of the film — advertising the closing down sale at local music shop.
Until a group of teenage thugs grab his sign, run off … and, when he catches them?
Beat him him into semi consciousness with his own sign.
Back at the office?
A sympathetic co-worker called Randall, gives him a gun: so he can protect himself.
Arthur is not completely happy: his poor mental health means he can’t have one legally.
Arthur’s right to feel uncomfortable.
At his next gig — entertaining children at a local hospital — he drops the gun.
A mistake that costs him his job.
That, and his medical condition — an unfortunate tendency to laugh at inappropriate moments — gets him attacked by three employees of Thomas Wayne: one of the candidate’s in Gotham’s Mayoral election.
Something he can only deal with … by firing …
Life gets worse.
His attraction to to one of his neighbours — Sophie (Zazie Beetz) — is not the surest of things.
His attempted routine at a local comedy club bombs: due to his condition.
And, coming back home, afterwards?
He finds his mother being carried away in an ambulance.
It’s only then he get’s a call from his favourite talk show: the host wants him to appear on Thursday.
Arthur?
Arthur is like you, and me, and anyone else …
Is just a little bit strained …
~≈†≈~
Now … have I seen a good film, a fantastic film, or a film that’s outright superb … ?
Yes!
Right now, I’m sitting here having seen what is one hell of a film.
One that whose writing is wonderful, whose directing is great, whose supporting cast give the performances of a life time.
Zazie Beetz, the love interest? Was great.
As was American Horror Story alumni, Frances Conroy.
Actually? Now I’ve seen Ms Conroy in this, I have to say she out did every working minute she put in on American Horror Story.
The soundtrack? The soundtrack, provided by Hildur Guðnadóttir — who also composed for Chernobyl — is by turns, menacing, emotional, plays on our sympathies …
And is outright superb!
Then?
Then there‘s the central performance from Phoenix, as the central character.
He’s …
Basically, he’s nailed it.
I grew up on Cesar Romero’s Joker. Loved Nicholson’s. Felt Ledger’s Oscar was well deserved.
But … ?
Their versions of the Joker?
Were sane.
Fundamentally, sane.
Joaquin?
Has turned in a performance that shows us exactly how a fragile mind, a fragile mind that could be any of us, can be twisted by its circumstances.
Twisted, then bent backwards, forwards and sideways until, finally?
It snaps.
If you’re a Batman fan?
Joker is going to appeal.
If you’re not a bat-fan?
You are going to see a film that warns us how one bad day can change any of us for the worse.
And possibly the most riveting film you’re going to see in a long time.
A film that, quite simply?
Is superb.
Joker.
★★★★


No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.