Monday, 3 February 2020

For All Mankind — Series 1 Episode 6 — Home Again — A Review

3rd February, 2020.


Hmmm … 

I have to admit, I was at my usual job centre meeting, this morning.

I’m job-hunting at the moment: and have to report in, once every to to three weeks.

Not that it helps … 

Much.

Frankly, at the moment … ?

There’s not much coming in!

~≈†≈~

At any rate … ?

One thing I can do … ?

Is keep myself entertained.

At the moment … ?

That’s by watching the riveting For All Mankind.

Right now, I’m on Series 1.

And yes: it’s still looking good … 

~≈†≈~


Episode 6 — Home Again — opens on 23rd August, 1974: as Apollo 23 is preparing to launch.   With the newly promoted Gene Kranz (Eric Ladin) saying good bye to the crew, before they leave.

The launch is delayed fo a while … as one part of the Saturn Five needs replacing.

It’s only as Gene and the chief engineer walk away … that the rocket explodes on the launchpad.

Killing the twelve launch on the pad, and injuring the Apollo crew: who survive only after a dangerous ejection in the life capsule.

The deaths … ?

Have repercussions.

For starters, it means that the NASA astronauts — Ed, Gordo and Danielle (Joel Kinnamon, Michael  Dorman and Krys Marshall) — on the Jamestown base are stranded.

And, whilst they’re getting re-supplied?

The team are starting to get serious cabin fever.

Cabin fever not helps by bad food, worse cleaning facilities … and Russians setting up over The road.

~≈†≈~

The situation’s worse, back at Houston.

The FBI are investigating the explosion: convinced there’s Communists under the bed, evil doers roaming the base … and militant homosexuals lurking around in nightclubs.

Ellen Waverly (Jodi Balfour), is one of the female astronauts seriously worried by this: as her And her girlfriend are being emotionally affected.

And, with all going on … ?

NASA’s administrator, Harold Weisner (Wallace Langham) has a job for Margot (Wrenn Schmidt).

Weisner needs Margot to pick up one last report about the explosion.   From the one person most qualified to give it … and the one person Margot really doesn’t want to see.

Dr Werner von Braun …

~≈†≈~

Now … how did I feel about Home Again … ?

Pretty darn good, actually.

Most series have they’re ups and downs: obviously.

With the last episode of For All Mankind that I saw — Into The Abyss — being a pretty impressive piece that racked up the up the tension, and certainly kept me glued to my seat.

Well … 

For All Mankind has done it again: although Home Again isn’t an action adventure piece: more of a political thriller.

It’s given us All the President’s Men, combined with Silence of the Lambs.

I loved it!

Frankly?

I thin k I’ve got a free night, tomorrow: I may just be watching more … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.