Tuesday, 19 January 2010

Dorian Gray: The Curious Case of The Hideous, Horrifying, THING in the Attic …


Which is a long winded way of putting it, but ultimately … ?

Ultimately, it’s what the 2009 film version of Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray — just called Dorian Gray — actually is, I think …

It’s … curious …

I think …

And yet, I’m not too sure it I could put my finger in exactly what makes it so curious.

Because it’s not like — for example — the blood-fest that the Francis Ford Coppola cut of Dracula was, I know that.

It’s more — in tone — like the Kenneth Branagh take on Frankenstein.

And, had Adrian not popped in with Dorian Gray, I’m not sure I’d’ve watched it: not off me own back …

Having said that, Adrian, bless ’im, did make the very valid point that watching the film of the book is sometimes an easier way to follow the plot …

Hmmm …

You can tell it’s late, can’t you, I’m a touch incoherent …

The 2009, Oliver Parker version of Dorian Gray sees the eponymous hero — played by Ben Barnes — come to London as a young man and seduced into the big city’s social whirl by Lord Henry Wotton, played competently by Colin Firth*.

And — whilst being painted by London based artist, Basil Hallward — pledges anything, even his soul, if he were to remain as youthful as his portrait …

•••••

Adrian, is it tempting to use the line, “ … with hilarious results”, here, or is that just me … ?

•••••

Because the results aren’t really that funny: the picture ages and decays, leaving Dorian looking as pristine as the day it was painted.

Despite Dorian’s heavy life style: wine, women, song, sex, drugs, rock and roll, piano recitals, and more of the above, whenever the chance presents itself.

Until, ultimately, he genuinely falls in love and — spurred on by Wotton, himself — decides to destroy the painting, in the midst of the fire triggered, in part, by Wotton’s daughter.

•••••

Now, there’s that word, ultimately, again …

Ultimately, I know this is a film that a couple of friends of mine — Kevin D and Cindy — didn’t take to.

Which left me with mixed feelings.

But, having seen it — and seen it in good company — I think I’m quietly going to disagree, there.

I think this is a film that, whilst slow paced, is worth checking out. There’s an emotional tone here, that I think we’d find hard put to see anywhere else.

Which is what, I think, makes it a rarity amongst horror films.

An adult film that aims to make you look at the bad side of things.

And whether to enjoy it or kill it …

∞∞∞∞∞




  • Ben Barnes Dorian Gray

  • Colin Firth Lord Henry Wotton

  • Rachel Hurd-Wood Sybil Vane

  • Emilia Fox Lady Victoria Wotton

  • Rebecca Hall Emily Wotton

  • Ben Chaplin Basil Hallward













  • * Competently: but without the devilish glee of George Saunders’ version of the character, in the 1945 version.

    1 comment:

    1. We saw the trailer ages ago and thought it looked worth a look, will probably still try when it's on.

      ReplyDelete

    I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

    I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

    Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

    Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

    If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

    Thank you.

    *   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

    †   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.