Saturday, 2 April 2011

Let The Right One In: A Strange Tale …


You know, I think — think — that Kevin D and I have seen something of an interesting film, we really have …

And no: despite Kaiju and Debbi both recommending David Lynch’s Mulholland Drive, I’ve not managed to persuade either Kevin — or Movie Night Adrian, who couldn’t make tonight — to actually sit down with it.

Although Kevin did admit to being rather fond of Straight Story, tonight.

Something I’ll have to mention to Adrian, as I know I’ve not seen it …

Lets get moving on, and tell you about what we did see, shall we … ?

Yes, I think think I should … !

~≈§≈~

You see the film we actually caught, tonight … ?

Was the 2008, Tomas Alfredson directed, Swedish horror film, Let The Right One In: or Låt Den Rätte Komma In, in Swedish, based on an original novel — by John Ajvide Lindqvist — of the same name.

Set during the early 1980s, Let The Right One In tells the story of 12-year-old Oskar, a shy and bullied schoolboy who spends many of his nights plotting revenge on his tormentors.

And who — one night — meets a new neighbour in the estate where he lives: a rather pale — apparent — 12-year-old girl called Eli, who’s not all she seems.


For starters … ?

Eli has never seen a Rubik’s Cube, for example, until Oskar lends her his.

And the chap that Oskar assumes is her father …

Isn’t the healthiest chap for a boy to get to know …

To top off that lot … ?

Oskar also happen’s to think Eli “… smells funny”.

That kid’s got a definite way with the ladies …

~≈§≈~

At any rate, I think I’ve come away …

Well …

Mildly impressed.

But not necessarily as impressed as Kevin was: he definitely enjoyed Let The Right One In!

Personally … ?

I can’t for the life of me fault it.

However, I do know that this is one of those times where — much as with The Silence Of The Lambs — I’d like to have read the original novel that this is based on. I’m thinking there’s a depth to the film’s version of the characters boiled down — or toned down, I should say — from the novel. Håkan, for example, Eli’s apparent protector, seems strange, but harmless in the film: as far as someone can be, who spends his time hanging teenagers upside down before draining their blood.

In the novel, Håkan’s motives in helping an apparent child, with a much older mental age … are only implied in the film … and outright stated in the novel.

As it stands, though … ?

The film is a beautifully done piece of work, forcing us to examine whether the monsters it depicts are Eli, its vampire central character, or the bullies picking on Oskar, orOskar’s divorced parents: and as a minor point, ALSO telling us what happen’s when a vampire comes into a home, uninvited, something I know I’ve not seen dealt with in anything else.

But, here …

I’ll leave you with the usual stars …

Let The Right One In

Paul ★★*
Kevin ★★★☆




* Like I say, if I’d read the original novel, before hand, I’d possibly bumped it up a touch …

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.