Saturday, 9 April 2011

Read All About It: News Of The World …

Hmmm …

You know, in the middle of everything else that’s going on in the world, I’ve got to admit, one story has caught my eye.

I don’t know if you remember it, but, a few years back, a private investigator and a sub-editor from the News International paper, the News Of the World, were jailed after being prosecuted successfully for accessing voice-mail messages on celebrity mobile phones.

Yesterday saw News International apologise over further cases: and admitting liability in others, as well as saying they’ve started up a compensation fund of some £20, 000, 000.

Hmmm …

Now, I’ve got to admit, I’m thinking there’s a certain amount of fuss over nothing.

After all, anyone in the public eye will, I believe, act according, to not annoy to many of the punters. Or, indeed, voters: I got talking to Councillor Chilvers, a couple of days ago, who quietly admitted that even as ‘just’ a local councillor, she’s careful about what she says and does.

On the other hand … ?

As one of two commentators have said, News International’s London offices — or a subset of them, at any rate — seem to have been caught with their hands in the proverbial pot.

And that they’re hoping to settle out of court, to avoid lengthy — and expensive — legal fees.

And certainly puts their BSkyB deal look a lot more dubious, from where I’m sitting …


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.