Thursday, 18 August 2011

The Daily Teaser — 18-8-2011

Oooooh …

Blimey …

You know, I’ve got to be honest, I think I’ve actually gone and managed to go down with a cold, for heavens sake … !

Of, at least, managed to get myself VERY bunged up.

I’m hating it, to be frank.

Mostly on the basis that there’s always one nostril I can never actually clear, however much I actually blow.

Don’t you just hate that … ?

I can’t, I know that … !

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Yes, lets …

»»·««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Kaiju, Alexandra, and Debbi all putting in their answers: with Alexandra bagging 3ª out of 6*, and both Debbi and Kaiju bagging 6, and discussing disk defragmentingº.

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 18th August, 293BC, saw the founding of the oldest known Roman temple to whom … ?

Q2) 18th August, 1933, saw the birth of director, Roman Polanski: what was the name of his first English language film … ?

Q3) 18th August, 1989, saw which football club sold to property tycoon, Michæl Knighton … ?

Q4) More to the point, who’s that club’s manager … ?

Q5) 18th August, saw a large meteor pass over the UK: in which year … ?

Q6) And finally … 18th August, 1868, saw French astronomer, Pierre Janssen, discover which gas … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 17th August, 1952, saw the founding of NA: what does ‘NA’ stand for … ?
A1) Narcotics Anonymous.

Q2) It, like AA, CA, and GA, use how many steps … ?
Q2) 12.

Q3) 17th August, 1998, saw which US president admit to an affair … ?
A3) Bill Clinton.

Q4) 17th August, 1786, saw the birth of which noted US frontiersman … ?
A4) Davy Crockett.

Q5) 17th August, 1908, saw the world’s first animated cartoon: in which city … ?
A5) Paris.

Q6) What was it called … ?
A6) Fantasmagorie.

Q7) And finally … 17th August, 1943, saw the first Quebec Conference, between Winston Churchill, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and William Lyon Mackenzie King: which country was King the PM of … ?
A7) Canada.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later …














* You’re right, Alexandra, it is something of a best …

º Oh, that’s got me iBalling disc defragging software for OS X, guys: not that’s much for the platform, but it always pays to look …

ª Actually … one could argue Alexandra got 3·5/4, depending on how one interprets her last Oh … Canada answer …

2 comments:

  1. Any Alexandra Teaser Day is a good day! I vote she gets 6 out of 6!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine by me. I'll second that! :)

    1. Venus
    2. Repulsion
    3. Manchester United
    4. Sir Alex Ferguson
    5. 1783
    6. helium

    BTW, I've been reading so many mysteries lately, I decided I really needed something different to freshen the reading palate, so to speak. :)

    So, I've started Small Gods: Discworld by Terry Pratchett. I'm loving it so far. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.