Saturday, 29 October 2011

The Daily Teaser - 29-10-2011

Hmmm …

You know, I’ve GOT to confess …

I think I’ve just signed up for YouTube’s advert revenue sharing programme.

Although whether that’ll make me anything, I really don’t know!

Tell you what, though … ?

You click on mine … and I’ll click on yours, how does that sound … ?

««•»»

And what’s more … ?

What’s more, I seem to signed up for new social network, Diaspora.

Although Lord KNOWS how that’s going to go.

It’s very nice looking: certainly a lot better presented than Facebook or Google+.

But I’m thinking there doesn’t seem to be any approaching a Share button.

Oh well …

Lets move on, shall we … ?

««•»»

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Debbi and Nina putting in their answers: with both promising — or threatening — to behave themselves, it saw Nina bagging 5 out of 8, and Debbi scoring 8.

Lets see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video
Q1) 29th October, 1969, saw the first ever computer-to-computer link-up in the ARPANET, which eventually became the Internet. What was ARPANET a contraction of … ?

Q2) More to the point, the ARPANET was what: a packet-switching network, a carton-conversion network or parcel-force matrix?

Q3) As a final internet question … what’s the name of the software that connects computers on the ’Net … ?

Q4) Moving on … 29th October, 2008, saw which team win the World Series baseball championship for the first time in 28 years … ?

Q5) 29th October, 1964, saw Tanganyika and Zanzibar unite: to form which Republic … ?

Q6) And finally … 29th October, 2003, saw the (then) leader of Britain’s Conservative party hand in his resignation: what was his name … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 28th October, 1971, saw Britain launch it’s first satellite: what was that satellite’s name … ?
A1) Prospero.

Q2) More to the point, what was the name of the rocket that satellite was launched on … ?
A2) Black Arrow.

Q3) More to the point, where was this rocket launched from?
A3) The Woomera Test range in Australia.

Q4) 28th October, 2009, saw the Ares I-X launch in a spaceflight programme called what … ?
A4) Constellation.

Q5) Which agency launched the Ares I-X … ?
A5) NASA*.

Q6) Moving on from rockets … 28th October, 1958, saw Cardinal Angelo Roncalli elected as which Pope … ?
A6) John 23rd.

Q7) 28th October, 1928, saw the first formal performances of which country’s National Anthem … ?
A7) Indonesia.

Q8) And finally … 28th October, 1979, saw the first visit of a Chinese leader — Chairman Hua Kuo-Feng, in this case — to Britain: who was British PM at the time … ?
A8) Margaret Thatcher.
Enjoy those, everyone: now, I think I’m going to try and work put exactly WHICH Diaspora pod I’ve joined …


1 comment:

  1. 1. Advanced Research Projects Agency Network
    2. a packet switching network
    3. the Internet Protocol Suite or TCP/IP
    4. the Philadelphia Phillies
    5. Tanzania
    6. George Iaian Duncan Smith

    Enjoy your extra hour! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.