Saturday, 10 August 2013

Clone: An Acquired Taste … 

10th August, 2013.

Hmmm … 

Yes, I think ‘Hmmm’ sums it up.

I’ll happily admit, I like catching movies, occasionally: and I like to try and make a point of trying to tell people about the ones I see, as well.

I’ll also happily admit that — like many people, I suspect — that a film has to have some form of appeal, to catch my eye.

I know some friends are keen on catching as much as possible, to deepen their knowledge of film: as an art, as much as anything else

Although, personally … ?

I’ll admit to being something of a philistine.

I want to see a movie I think I’m going to enjoy.

You want to see something arty … ?

Brentwood Library’s got pictures on some of its walls.

At ANY rate … ?

At any rate, I’ve managed to catch Clone, tonight: also known, outside the UK, as Womb.

And possibly … ?   Well, possibly, I’ve caught myself an art film that’s a bit too arty … 

~≈Ω≈~

Set in an unspecified part of the world, at an unspecified time, the Benedek Fliegauf directed, <>
Clone sees Eva Green and Matt Smith* as childhood sweethearts, Rebecca and Thomas.

A pair of young, bright lovers, who are determined to follow Tommy’s plan to protest at a local biotech company.

Tragedy strikes, though, when — as they stop on the drive to the company’s headquarters — Tommy is hit, and killed, by a passing van.

And Rebecca … ?   Rebecca, in her grief, decides to have him cloned.

And to carry the embryo to term, as the second Tommy’s mother.

~≈Ω≈~

Now … 

Am I going to recommend Clone to you, or not … ?

I don’t know, frankly, if I can.

I personally feel that, were I to suggest renting a character-driven, emotional film about cloning, and the ethics of cloning, I think I’d be doing you and me a favour by telling you to see the Carey Mulligan flick, Never Let Me Go.

I felt the latter dealt with the subject in a far more satisfying way.

That’s not to say Clone is a complete no-hoper.   Both Smith and Green put in sterling performances, the photography is delicious, and the scenery — long sandy beaches, for the most part — lovely.

Personally, though, I found those redeeming features were outweighed by the simple fact Clone is very — almost intolerably — slow paced.

It may be gorgeous.

But it could WELL do with a poke, to have gotten going.
Clone    
★☆☆☆











*        To be fair, the reason I rented Clone, tonight … ?   Was because it’s got Matt Smith and Eva Green in it.   I happen to find Ms Green’s voice rather attractive: and wanted to see the talented Mr Smith in something other than Dr Who, before he left the role.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.