Tuesday, 20 August 2013

The Daily Teaser — 20-8-2013

It’s got to be said, a documentary is a lovely thing.

Especially — and I’ll probably say this again and again — a documentary that’s an on-form part of the BBC’s Horizon series.

Last night’s … ?   Was a fascinating piece about piece about hackers.

Which included the fact that the Stuxnet malware — originally designed to target Iranian uranium processing plants — has gone public.

That’s going to give someone a headache … !

With that in mind … ?   Let’s get a move on … 

~≈Ï≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers.   Along with letting me know she’s accepted my FB friend request, ALSO bagged four out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 20th August, 1989, saw at least 30 people killed in the crash of the Marchioness: on which river … ?
Q2) More to the point, what was the name of the dredger it crashed with … ?
Q3) 20th August, 1940, saw Prime Minister Winston Churchill make his “Never Has So Much” speech.   Who was he talking about, in the speech, when he talked of ‘The Few’ … ?
Q4) 20th August, 1938, saw baseball player, Lou Gehrig, make his 23rd career grand slam.   He famously shared the type of disease he suffered with which physicist … ?
Q5) Finally … 20th August, 1890, saw the birth of horror writer, H. P. Lovecraft.   What does the H stand for … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 19th August, 1692, saw how many people executed as part of the Salem Witch Trials: three, four or five … ?
A1) 5.
Q2) 19th August, 1848, saw the New York Herald break the story of which Californian happening … ?
A2) The 1848 California Gold Rush.   (they were a touch slow: the Gold Rush actually started in January.)
Q3) 19th August, 43 BC, saw Augustus elected to which high Roman office … ?
A3) Consul.
Q4) 19th August, 1989, saw an Anglo-Dutch raid on which radio station … ?
A4) Radio Caroline.
Q5) Finally … 19th, 2003, saw the UN envoy to which Middle Eastern country, killed in a car bomb attack?
A5) Iraq.
Enjoy those.

I’ll leave you with this quote from the ever modest Don King …
“Only in America can a Barack Obama happen. Only in America can a Don King happen.”
Don King, born 20th August, 1931.
And, as he shares his birthday with Jim Reeves … 


Enjoy your day … 












*          Ooh, Debbi, did I mention last night’s episode of Horizon … ?   I don’t know if it’ll be screened by BBC America, but it’s a fascinating watch if you can get hold of it … !

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Paul. Send me an email and tell me more about the show, if you would. Or post something on FB. Thanks! :)

    1. Thames
    2. Bowbelle
    3. the pilots
    4. the awesome Stephen Hawking! :)
    5. Howard

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.