OK, I’ll admit to being sadly geeky.
No, really.
Geeky … and happy to watch The Day Of The Doctor, the 50th Anniversary Dr Who special, all over again.
And — metaphorically, at least — want to give Christopher Ecclestone a kicking for not doing the gig.
I think one or two lines in there were his.
~≈ï≈~
But enough with the briefery geekery!
It’s Wednesday: and while my dinner’s cooking, it’s time for the Brentwood’s Gazette’s Weekly Teaser.
Here’s this week’s Piltdown Man questions …
Q1) 18th December, 1912, saw the announcement of the alleged discovery of Piltdown Man. The man who announced the hoax was called Charles what: Dawson, Higson or Dixon … ?
Q2) The fake human ancestor was discovered in Piltdown. Which was a small village in what was then which county: East Sussex, West Sussex or Mid-Sussex?
Q3) The hoax skull consisted of the upped part of a modern human, and the lower jawbone from which great ape: a gorilla, chimp or orangutan … ?
Q4) Piltdown Man was described as the missing … what … ?
Q5) Piltdown Man was finally exposed as a hoax in which year of the 1950s … ?
Q6) Which detective author was felt — by some — to be the man responsible for the hoax: Agatha Christie, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or Dorothy L. Sayers … ?
Q7) Mike Oldfield famously pretended to be Piltdown Man on which of his albums … ?
Q8) While we talking of hoaxes, the fake automatic chess player, famous in the 18th Century, was known as the Mechanical … what … ?
Q9) P. T. Barnum, the original Prince Of Humbug, famously exhibited the Feejee what: Mammoth, Mermaid or Monkey … ?
Q10) Finally … which Christian church’s holy book is felt by many to by a hoax, invented by its founder, Joseph Smith … ?
And here’s last week’s questions and answers …
Questions.
Q1) 11th December saw Bill W, one of AA’s founders, finally stop drinking. In which year of the 1930s?
Q2) What did the W stand for … ?
Q3) More to the point, what does AA stand for … ?
Q4) The group takes its name from its main text, used to help members achieve sobriety. The book is nicknamed … what … ?
Q5) Bill W cofounded AA with Dr Robert Smith: known to many AA members as Dr … what … ?
Q6) The group was founded in Akron: in which US state is Akron … ?
Q7) The group famously has how many steps … ?
Q8) What name does AA give to someone who talks a newcomer through the Steps … ?
Q9) One of AA’s offshoot groups helps drug addicts, and is called NA. What does NA stand for … ?
Q10) Finally … when going through that final treatment, Bill W was treated with a drug made from which beautiful woman?
Answers.
A1) 1934.
A2) Wilson. (In common with AA’s tradition of anonymity, he was publicly referred to as Bill W for years.)
A3) Alcoholics Anonymous.
A4) The Big Book.
A5) Dr Bob.
A6) Ohio.
A7) 12. (It’s why AA, and groups like it, are referred to as ‘12-step groups’)
A8) A sponsor.
A9) Narcotics Anonymous.
A10) Deadly Nightshade: also known as Atropa belladonna and Belladonna, the Italian for ‘beautiful woman’.
Enjoy those: I’ll catch you next time.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.