Sunday, 29 December 2013

The Daily Teaser — 29-12-2013

Argh … !

Or, at least, ‘Argh’ … I think … 

I have to admit to being a touch nervous: I’m due to help out with my nephew’s birthday party, today.


Lord know’s how I’m going to do with that!

I’ll be frank … I’m feeling just a touch of stage fright … !   But Jude NOT having his favourite uncle there … ?

Well, that just wouldn’t be on, now would it … ?

Hmm … 

Let’s move on, shall we?   Before I get overwhelmed … 

~≈Ê≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Kaiju and Debbi putting in their answers: with Kaiju telling us x-rays are cool, and Debbi telling us she’s going to be checking out some more Terry Pratchett, the day saw Kaiju* scoring six out of six, and Debbi† scoring five.

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 29th December, 1914, saw serialization start — in The Egoist — of A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man.   Who wrote A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man … ?
Q2) More to the point, in which Irish city was that writer born … ?
Q3) 29th December, 1911, saw Sun Yat-sen become the provisional president of where … ?
Q4) 29th December, 2006, saw the UK repay its Anglo-American Loan: originally run up in the wake of which war … ?
Q5) 29th December, 1986, saw the death of former British Prime Minister, Harold MacMillan.   What title did he hold, on his death … ?
Q6) Finally … 29th December, 1860, saw the launch of Britain’s first seagoing ironclad, the HMS Warrior.   What does HMS stand for?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 28th December, 1941, saw the start of Operation Anthropoid: the plot to kill which Nazi leader … ?
Q2) That leader was in charge of what was then called the ‘Protectorate Of Bohemia and Moravia’: which is now in which European country … ?
A2) The Czech Republic.
Q3) 28th December, 1993, saw British Customs officials seize £70 million worth of cocaine.   Cocaine they felt was linked to whom: the Mafia, the Yakuza or the Cripps … ?
A3) The Mafia.
Q4) 28th December, 1944, saw Maurice Richard become the first professional player to score eight points: in which US sport … ?
A4) NHL Ice Hockey.
Q5) 28th December, 1973, saw the Endangered Species Act signed into US law: by which US President … ?
A5) Tricky Dicky, himself: Richard M. Nixon.
Q6) Finally … 28th December, 1895, saw Wilhelm Röntgen publish the paper describing his discovery of what kind of radiation … ?
A6) X-rays.   (Which have frequencies from 30 petahertz to 30 exahertz.   Apparently.)
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“After us, the deluge. I care not what happens when I am dead and gone.”
Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson, Madame de Pompadour, 29 December 1721 – 15 April 1764.
And — given it’s Marianne Faithfull’s birthday — this tune … 


Have a good day … !














*        Hang on, Kaiju, I thought it bow ties that were cool … ?

†        I know what you mean, Debbi: I’ve still got The Magic Labyrinth to get through … !

1 comment:

  1. I've got so much reading to do, it's overwhelming! :)

    1. James Joyce
    2. Dublin
    3. the Republic of China
    4. WWII
    5. Lord Stockton, Viscount Macmillan
    6. Her/His Majesty's Ship

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.