Friday, 13 December 2013

The Daily Teaser — 13-12-13: Europe Endless

Ye … GODS, but I’m tired … !

Lord knows why: it’s not like a I didn’t get an early night.

Yet, this morning … ?

I’m happily — ok, happilyish — yawning my head off.

Which possibly isn’t good: especially as I have to go into Basildon, for this week’s Work Programme course, on Self-employment.   Something I’d rather be awake for!

Hmmm … 

I’d better get a move on, hadn’t I … ?

~≈Â≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with letting me about cult TV, also bagged nine out of ten.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ license and video … 

Q1) 13th December, 2002, saw the EU announce it would be joined by ten new members: in May of which year … ?
Q2) More to the point, name any of the ten nations.
Q3) One of those ten nations became a republic on 13th December, 1972.   Which nation … ?
Q4) Another elected Archbishop Makarios 3rd as its first President, on 13th December, 1959: WHICH of them … ?
Q5) Which of those ten nations was placed under martial law, on 13th December, 1981 … ?
Q6) Finally … One of those ten nations declared war on the USA, on 13th December, 1941.   Which of them … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 12th December, 1911, saw George 5th proclaimed as Emperor of India: who was his Empress … ?
A1) His wife, Mary of Teck.
Q2) More to the point, what name to given to the ceremony: Durbar, Durban or turban?
A2) The Delhi Durbar.   (The word means ‘court’.)
Q3) Even MORE to the point, in which Indian city was it held … ?
A3) Delhi.
Q4) What R was the name given to British rule of India … ?
A4) The Raj.
Q5) Who was the first British monarch of India … ?
Q6) Who was the last Mughal Emperor … ?
Q7) Who was the last British Emperor of India … ?
Q8) The last British viceroy of India was Viscount Mountbatten of where … ?
A8) Burma.
Q9) 12th December, 1911, also saw the capital of India moved to Delhi: from where … ?
A9) Calcutta: also spelt ‘Kolkata’. 
Q10) Finally … Name any of the modern countries that occupy territory that had been part of British India …
A10) Bangladesh, Burma, India, Pakistan and, believe it or not, Yemen.
Enjoy those.

I’ll leave you with this thought from Jose Manuel Barroso …
“What we have is the first non-imperial empire .. We have 27 countries that fully decided to work together and to pool their sovereignty. I believe it is a great construction and we should be proud of it.”
Jose Manuel Barroso, President of the EU Commission.
And with some Kraftwerk … 


Have a good day.


















*        You realise, Debbi, that both Britain and the US have at least one cult hit like that, ones that, a given number of years ago, weren’t thought well of: and are now HUGE money spinners?   As an incidental thought … ?   I loved the new look Klingons in Star Trek: Into Darkness.   I mean,  Space Marines and cranial ridge piercings?   Where can you go wrong … !



1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more, Paul! Sci-fi is awesome. But then so is mystery. Combining the two can be really awesome! :)

    1. 2004
    2. Estonia
    3. Cyprus
    4. Cyprus
    5. Poland
    6. Bulgaria

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.