Sunday, 15 December 2013

The Daily Teaser — 15-12-2013: Sitting Bull

You know, I think there’s only so-much funeral I can take.

Really … !

With all due respect to Nelson Mandela, I think there’s not much more I can take: so I’ve gently got The Bells Of Saint John playing in the background.

Saying that … ?

Saying that, I have to say, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like Mr Mandela’s funeral.

I think the best I can say — that any of us can say — is that we can only hope we get a turn out like that at our funerals.

I don’t know that any of us would ever be that revered, though … 

~≈Â≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with letting us know she thought Bladerunner* was great, she also scored five out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Native American questions, shall we … ?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 15th December, saw the death of Chief Sitting Bull: at which Reservation … ?
Q2) In which year of the 1890s?
Q3) Sitting Bull was a chief of the Hunkpapa Lakota: a branch of which tribe … ?
Q4) Sitting Bull famously made an accurate prediction: about which battle, during the Indian Wars?
Q5) He also participated — in 1885 — in who’s Wild West show … ?
Q6) During that period, he also — informally — adopted whom: Calamity Jane, Annie Oakley or Belle Starr … ?
Q7) Finally … Sitting Bull’s death was a contributing factor in which battle … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 14th December, 1946, saw the UN’s General Assembly vote to have it’s headquarters in which city … ?
A1) New York.
Q2) 7 years earlier, the UN’s predecessor expelled the Soviet Union, for invading Finland.   What was the name of the UN’s predecessor … ?
Q3) 14th December, 1962, saw the Mariner 2 become the first Earth probe to fly past which planet … ?
A3) Venus.
Q4) On a similar space theme, 14th December, 1972, saw Eugene Cernan become the last man to walk on the moon.   As part of which Apollo mission … ?
A4) Apollo 17.
Q5) Finally … 14th December, 1985, saw Wilma Mankiller become the first woman named as Principal Chief of which Native American tribe?
A5) The Cherokee: at least, the largest of the three recognised by the US federal Government, the Cherokee Nation.
I’ll leave you with this thought from the Chief, himself …
“You come here to tell us lies, but we don’t want to hear them. If we told you more, you would have paid no attention. That is all I have to say.”
Sitting Bull.
And also with this … 


Enjoy your Sunday … 






















*        Figured it would appeal, Debbi: it and Neuromancer are both very noir … !

1 comment:

  1. They are indeed! You do pick the most interesting subjects for your teasers. Would you believe that I considered writing a mystery in which Annie Oakley or Calamity Jane was one of the main characters? :)

    1. the Standing Rock Indian Reservation
    2. 1890
    3. the Sioux
    4. Battle of the Little Bighorn
    5. Buffalo Bill Cody
    6. Annie Oakley
    7. the "Wild scene"??? don't know

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.