Saturday, 26 February 2011

The Daily Teaser …

Now that’s a real weirdie …

I’ve got to admit it.

Definitely strange.

I actually had a dream, last night: usually I never remember them.

But this one … ?

Or snippet of one, I should say … ?

Had me running around the house, as I’d been assigned to a ship.

Here’s the weird bit: one that doesn’t actually exist.
Seems I’d been made a member of Iain M. Banks’ Culture, and been assigned to the GSV Serious Gravitas Shortfall.

And was running around the house getting a few last bits together.

The even stranger bit … ?

Was that isn’t even the name of the ship in question, it’s actually the GSV Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall.

Yeah, like I say …

Lets move on, shall we … ?

Yeah …

»»•««

Yes, move on …

Yesterday’s Teaser was a bit of a quiet one: bless him, Kaiju had some last minute learning to do for a presentation he has to give, tonight.

However, it did see Debbi putting in her answers: and managing to bag six out of six.

Lets see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 26th February, 2000, saw a gagging order issued against which British spy … ?

Q2) The Daventry Experiment — carried out by Robert Watson-Watt on 26th February, 1935 — which lead to the UK development of what: television, RADAR or the pocket calculator … ?

Q3) 26th February, 2004, saw the USA lift a travel ban to which North African country … ?

Q4) 26th February, 1826 saw the birth of the man who famously designed the world’s first Jeans: what was his name … ?

Q5) More to the point, in which US city was that designer’s company based … ?

Q6) And finally … 26th February, 1914, saw the launch of one of the RMS Titanic’s sister ships: what was its name … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 25th February, 1971, saw the first part of the Pickering Nuclear Generating station go into operation: this was which country’s first nuclear generator … ?
A1) Canada’s …

Q2) 25th February, 1964, saw Muhammed Ali — Cassius Clay, as he was, then — beat Sonny Liston to become Heavyweight Champion of the World: what did Ali say he’d famously float like … ?
Q2) “… A butterfly”.

Q3) More to the point, how old was Ali, when he did this … ?
A3) 22.

Q4) 25th February, 1921, saw the city of Tbilisi occupied by Bolshevik Russia: which country is Tbilisi the capital of … ?
A4) Georgia.

Q5) 25th February, 1928, saw the Charles Jenkins Laboratories become the first group or person to hold a US Federal … what … ?
A5) Television license.

Q6) And finally … 25th February, 1901, saw the birth of the youngest member of the Marx Brothers: who was he … ?
A6) Herbert Manfred “Zeppo” Marx.
Enjoy those those, everyone.

I’ll catch you later.

1 comment:

  1. 1. David Shayler. However, according to this source, the UK government moved to impose a gag order on that date: http://www.cremationofcare.com/the_nwo_spies_lies_whistleblowers.htm

    So, assuming it was issued the same day, I guess that's the answer. Maybe. :)

    2. RADAR

    3. Libya

    4. Levi Strauss. However, see this source and compare the year: http://tinyurl.com/4vpa79e

    Hmm ... is one of these numerals upside-down? :)

    5. San Francisco (that awesome city by the bay, which they still call home)

    6. HMHS Britannic

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.