Monday, 28 March 2011

The Daily Teaser …

You know, I think — THINK — the switch to BST has caught up with me: that … and I forgot to put my alarm on, again …

I hate that, when it happens … !

If nothing else …

Well, if nothing else, I now Jude had a smile on his face, yesterday … !

»»•««

Hmmm …

I’ll have to see if that’s on the BBC’s news site, later: the Beeb’s news channel has just run a piece on the formal opening, today, on the UK Space Agency.

I’m gonna keep me fingers crossed that that takes off: because, according to Lord Drayson, one of the men who announced it, they’ll “need a compelling business case” for each mission …

»»•««

Lets get moving on, shall we … ?

Yes, lets … !

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers. Along with scoring 6 out of 6, she also managed to let everyone know how she figured out yesterday’s Q2.

Lets see how she — and you — do with today’s questions: here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 28th March, 1959, saw the State Council of the People's Republic of China dissolve which country’s government … ?

Q2) 28th March, 1921, saw the birth of actor, Dirk Bogarde: in which series of comedies did he play Dr Simon Sparrow … ?

Q3) 28th March, 1965, saw Dr Martin Luther King leading 25000 protestors to the state capital of Alabama: what’s the name of that capital … ?

Q4) 28th March, 1987, saw the death of Patrick Troughton: in which 1976 film did he play Father Brennan … ?

Q5) And finally … that same day — 28th March, 2987 — saw the death of which former singing nun … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 27th March, 2000, saw the death of singer/songwriter, band leader and actor, Ian Dury: what was the name of his first UK No. 1, with The Blockheads … ?
A1) Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick.

Q2) 27th March saw Russian citizens vote in the first multi-party Soviet Elections: in which year of the 1980s … ?
Q2) 1989.

Q3) 27th March, 1958, saw Nikita Khrushchev names as Premier — or Chairman of the Council of Ministers, if you’re being picky — of the USSR: which other title did he hold … ?
A3) First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union: Коммунистическая Партия Советского Союза, Kommunisticheskaya Partiya Sovetskogo Soyuza, in Russian.

Q4) 27th March, 1309, saw Pope Clement 5th excommunicate which Italian city-state … ?
A4) Venice. (I’m can’t find a reference as to why he did this, but I know the Papacy moved to Avignon, around this time: it MAY be because the Venetians were fiddling the Church travel expenses … )

Q5) 27th March, 1998, saw the US Food and Drug Administration approve the use of which drug … ?
A5) Viagra: originally design as a way of improving blood circulation, it was only a few weeks later that one of its side effects became better known …

Q6) And finally … 27th March, 1935, saw the birth of English actor, Julian Glover: in which Bond film did he play Aristotle Kristatos … ?
A6) For Your Eyes Only.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you all, later …

1 comment:

  1. 1. Tibet
    2. the "Doctor" Comedy Series
    3. Montgomery
    4. The Omen
    5. Maria von Trapp

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.