Saturday, 17 December 2011

The Daily Teaser — 17-12-2011

Hmmm …

You know, I was going to knock out a few lines about Brussels Sprouts.

Considering Radio 4’s weekend farming show just gave them a mention,

But I’ve just heard — on the news — that David Cameron, Britain’s PM, has started to emphasise Britain’s Christian heritage.

That’s worrying, to me.

You see, I grew up during the 1970s, when Northern Ireland was a troubled land, with the religious aspects playing their part: I think me and my friends definitely grew up with the impression that sectarian religious divides — between different denominations or between religions — were a MAJOR source of trouble.

So hearing a politician speak favourably about religion, however worthy a contribution he may think he’s making … ?

Well …

I start referring you to Dune, frankly.

Let’s get moving on, shall we?

Yes, lets …

»»•««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi — incredibly flattering woman that she is — putting in her answers: AND bagging 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video
Q1) 17th December, 1538, saw which English King get excommunicated … ?

Q2) More to the point, by which pope … ?

Q3) 17th December, 1989, saw the debut episode of The Simpsons aired: what was that episode’s title … ?

Q4) 17th December, 2010 saw Mohamed Bouazizi spark the Tunisian Revolution — and Arab Spring — by doing what … ?

Q5) 17th December, 1939, saw the scuttling of which German warship … ?

Q6) And finally … 17th December, 1942, saw which British politician condemn the murder of Jews in Nazi controlled Europe … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 16th December, 1497, saw Vasco Da Gama round the Cape of Good Hope: on which continent is the Cape of Good Hope?
A1) Africa.

Q2) 16th December, 1984, saw Mikhail Gorbachev make a successful visit to the UK: who was Soviet Russian leader, at the time … ?
A2) Konstantin Ustinovich Chernenko.

Q3) 16th December is a Bollywood film about the (fictional) nuclear bombing of whichIndian city: New Delhi, Mumbai or Kolkata … ?
A3) New Delhi.

Q4) 16th December, 1969, saw the UK’s Parliament vote in favour of abolishing the death sentence for murder: in which year did the UK stop the death sentence for Treason … ?
A4) 1998.

Q5) And finally … 16th December, 1773, is the date of the Boston Tea Party: the revolutionaries who carried this out were disguised as what … ?
A5) Mohawk. (Or Kanien'kehá:ka (People of the Place of Flint) if you happen to be fluent in their language …)
Enjoy those, everyone: or, as birthday boy, Tommy Steele put it … ?

Rum-tiddly-um-tum-um-tum-TUM.

Stick it in the family ALBUM* … !













* Musical stings and cries of ‘Ta-DAH’ are, of course, purely optional.

1 comment:

  1. Never empty flattery, though. Just so you know. :)

    1. Henry VIII
    2. Pope Paul III
    3. "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire"
    4. setting himself on fire
    5. Admiral Graf Spee
    6. Winston Churchill

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.