Friday, 23 December 2011

John Carpenter’s The Thing and X-Men: First Class

You know, I THINK I’m going to say a quick thank you to Nina, bless her!

She’s ever so thoughtfully sent me an early Christmas gift.

Something I know , as a southpaw, am definitely going to value: a pair of left handed scissors.

Thanking you, Nina!

I’m just mildly ashamed I’ve nowt to give in return, apart from some rather effusive thanks*!

But let’s move on, shall we … ?

After all, I started this, with the intention of telling you about movies …

««·»»

I’ll be frank, bless him, I had Kevin D over, last night … !

And the pair of us managed to catch a film I know he was keen to share, X-Men: First Class.

Something I know I was happily pleased to see, although I’m not usually a fan of the Marvel franchised films.

X-Men: First Class sees Professor Xavier — played by James McAvoy — putting together a team of super-powered mutants — including a much younger Magneto, played by Michæl Fassbender — to help prevent the villainous Professor Smidt — beautifully over done by Kevin Bacon, there — trigger both the Cuban Missile Crisis, and — possibly — World War 3.

I think I can give you an idea of how much fun it was, by cutting straight to the stars …

X-Men: First Class
Paul: ★★☆☆
Kevin: ★★☆☆
Average: ★★☆☆

««•»»

Then there’s the film I managed to treat myself to, tonight, as there was nothing else onº: John Carpenter’s The Thing.

And I’ll HAPPILY admit, this STILL looks impressive after almost thirty years!

The film sees Kurt Russell as MacReadyª, a helicopter pilot assigned to an isolated US base in the Antarctic, when, one otherwise quiet day sees a lost dog wander on to† the base.

A lost dog that’s being chased by two hysterical Norwegians in a chopper, with a lot of weaponry …

««•»»

Now, I said John Carpenter’s The Thing was old … ?

Well, yes, it is … !

But of the two films I’ve seen most recently … ?

I’ll happily give it a better rating, I think, and let you make you mind up yourself …

John Carpenter’s The Thing
Paul: ★★★









* Because, if nothing else, I can prove a point or two at some right-handed friends, I know that much: it probably helps if I add tune from Mongrels


º Where are all the decent movies that turn up on TV, this time of year … ? No idea … ! Unless Sky TV’s paid a fortune for them!

ª Owner of possibly the most iconic hat in science-fiction.

Actually, Debbi, I’m currently re-reading Orwell’s 1984. Going by the liner notes, there was a huge amount of discussion between him, and his English and American publishers. All about ‘on to’; and whether it should be ‘on to’ or ‘onto’. Wilde had a point, I think …

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.