Wednesday, 20 February 2013

The Daily Teaser — 20-2-2013

Hmmm … 

That’s a bit of a worry … !   I have to admit, I manage to read this article, yesterday: about an attack on Apple’s own systems, via a Java exploit.

Apple, bless ’em, have had a bit of a iffy rep, when it comes* to issuing security patches but in this case, managed to get the relevant one rolled out, pretty quickly: to the point I managed to update my main machine last night, and my spare, this morning … 

And am gently making ‘phew’ type noises.   Chinese cyber-espionage types aren’t getting into MY machine … !

Ahem … 

Let’s get moving on … 

~~~~~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi† putting in her answers: along with admitting she’s been having a bit of a rough time, recently, also bagged 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 20th February, 1816, saw which of Rossini’s opera’s debut in the Teatro Argentina … ?
Q2) More to the point, in which Italian city is the Teatro Argentina … ?
Q3) 20th February, 1962, saw who become the first American to orbit the Earth … ?
Q4) 20th February saw the USSR launch the Mir space station: in which year of the 1980s … ?
Q5) 20th February, 1935, saw Caroline Mikkelsen become the first woman to set foot, where … ?
Q6) And finally … 20th February, 1872, saw the opening of the Metropolitan Museum of Art: in which US city … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 19th February, 1976, saw President Ford rescind Executive Order 9066: the World War 2 US government order that interned whom … ?
A1) Japanese Americans: as well as Korean Americans.
Q2) More to the point, which cast-member of the original series of Star Trek was affected by Executive Order 9066 … ?
A2) George Takei.
Q3) 19th February, 2001, saw a five-mile exclusion zone, around an abattoir identified as a source of Foot and Mouth disease.   In which English county was this … ?
A3) Essex.
Q4) 19th February, 1473, saw the birth of which astronomer … ?
A4) Nicolaus Copernicus.
Q5) 19th February, 1945, saw 30, 000 US marines land on Iwo Jima: name either of the Clint Eastwood films about the Battle Of Iwo Jima …
A5) Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima.
Q6) And finally … 19th February, 1906, saw the founding of the Kellogg Company: under which name … ?
A6) Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company.
I’ll leave you with this quote from Gloria Vanderbilt …
“I’ve always believed that one woman's success can only help another woman's success.”
Gloria Vanderbilt, born 20th February, 1924
And this song from Rihanna.


Enjoy today … 








*        I’d ALSO suggest that — whatever operating system you have on your computer — you check for those all important security updates: keep you machines up-to-date.   After all, Macs make up a small group of the computer population: I’d imagine it won’t be long before this particular Java hole is discovered — and exploited — in PCs.

†        Look at it, this way, Debbi, things can only improve … !   (Which is possibly cue for a song with a very upbeat chorus: over here … )

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Paul! :) I hope my hand improves by the time I start going to conferences. I also hope we can plan a trip somewhere this year.

    1. The Barber of Seville
    2. Rome
    3. John Glenn
    4. 1986
    5. Antarctica
    6. New York City

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.