Friday, 8 February 2013

The Daily Teaser — 8-2-2013

Isn’t it amazing what you can find out, having the news on in the background … ?

It is … !   I mean, Radio 4’s Today programme has just had a piece on the Bolshoi Ballet.   I always got the impression footballers like Mario Balotelli were a handful.   The lead dancer at the Bolshoi makes him look positively reasonable.

Then there’s Findus.   Oh dear … Just when you thought the Horse-meat saga was over, it turns up and gives comedians a present … !

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

««†»»

Yesterday’s saw Debbi putting in her answers.   Along with letting us know her next post’s looking good, she ALSO managed to bag 10 out of 10*.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, license and video … 

Q1) 8th February, 1865, saw Delaware vote against the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution: the amendment that rejected slavery.   In which year did Delaware finally ratify it … ?
Q2) 8th February, 1971, saw the opening of the NASDAQ stock market: was it the first, second or third electronic stock market… ?
Q3) 8th February, 1983, saw Ariel Sharon quit his Israeli government post, after enquiries into two massacres.   Which post was it … ?
Q4) 8th February, 1915, saw the debut of controversial film, The Birth Of A Nation: which far-right group did it put in an unjustified, favourable light … ?
Q5) And finally … 8th February, 1950, saw the formal founding of the Stasi: which country’s secret police were the Stasi … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 7th February, 1992, saw the signing of the Maastricht Treaty on the EU: in which country is Maastricht … ?   
A1) The Netherlands.
Q2) It — originally — was signed by members of what was then called what: the EEC, the EC or the EU … ?   
A2) The EC, or European Community: the ‘Economic had been dropped’, and the EU was what was created.
Q3) That organisation is now the EU: what does EU stand for … ?   
A3) European Union.
Q4) More to the point, how many members does the EU have … ?   
A4) 27.
Q5) What’s the name of the single currency used in many EU countries … ?   
A5) The Euro.
Q6) How many members of the EU use that single currency … ?   
A6) 17.
Q7) Name one of them …    
A7) Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia and Spain.   (Now … BREATHE … !)
Q8) While we’re being monetary: in which German city is the European Central Bank … ?   
A8) Frankfurt.   (There’s a joke, there, either with a sausage or Tim Curry: take your pick … )
Q9) How many official languages are there, in the EU … ?   
A9) 23.
Q10) And finally … the European Parliament is elected for terms of how long: 5, 7 or 15 years … ?   
A10) 5 year terms.
As today marks the birth of the father of French science fiction, Jules Vernes, I’ll leave you with this …
“Science, my lad, has been built upon many errors; but they are errors which it was good to fall into, for they led to the truth.”   From Journey to the Centre Of The Earth Jules Verne, February 8, 1828 – March 24, 1905
And with this tune from Mötley Crüe … 














*        I’m looking forward to it, Debbi.   (Oh, and don’t worry, computer wise: I’m like a trainspotter who’s seen a good one go pas, sometimest.  :D  The weird bit is my text messages: I had one from my youngest sister, Ruth — Jude’s mum — this morning, asking me what a Mac Mini was.   I don’t think I’ve managed to shut up, yet … !! )

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine! :) If I weren't so used to PCs, I'd probably use a Mac, with no regrets.

    1. 1901
    2. first
    3. Defense Minister
    4. the Ku Klux Klan
    5. East Germany

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.