10th June, 2022.
Right … I’m feeling slightly pressured.
As … ?
Dinner’s almost ready!
Yes: it’s Friday night, again: and? I’m going to be watching the next episode of Star Trek: Discovery.
Is it’s on a par with last week’s?
I’ll let you know, later!
Episode 12 — Species Ten-C — opens with the usual summary of earlier episodes.
Then shifts.
To show us the Discovery heading straight for the Hyperfield: and, once in range, slowing down so that the diplomatic team led by President Rillak (Chelah Horsdal) can work out exactly what to do next … and work out how to communicate with the Ten-C.
With Captain Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) warning the President that they may — may — have to put the contingency plans into action: if they can’t figure out a way to communicate.
It’s only after after the diplomatic team met to get a briefing from Dr Culber (Wilson Cruz), Burnham and Mr Saru (Doug Jones), the team works out the best way to start a conversation with the Ten-C.
Send out the hydrocarbon that means ‘peace’ to the Ten-C.
In the hope they understand it to mean “We come in Peace.”
And not “Shoot to kill!”
~≈👽≈~
Now …
What did I make of Species Ten-C?
I have to admit, I’m impressed.
Partly? Cast and writing is on form again, this week: certainly on a par with this season’s first and second episodes.
There’s no surprise, there, I think.
All three episode are directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.
Which I think is responsible for the other thing: Species Ten-C seemed remarkably well paced.
I’ve criticised some episodes of this season for being a little too talky, too dialogue heavy.
And, while you could possibly say that of Species Ten-C — it’s got a lot of brainstorming going on — it’s countered by a good emphasis on both action … and spectacle.
From where I’m sitting? In Species Ten-C, Star Trek Discovery has managed to take maybe a hint or two from Iain M. Banks’ Culture novels.
In other words? The show’s shown us the Ten-C’s home-world: and it’s a huge great artefact!
Star Trek’s finally going for big space opera.
Species Ten-C has gone for several other things, as well.
It’s put Tig Notaro*’s Commander Reno in a position to be a hero: and given her some much needed back-story.
And?
This episode has a cliffhanger ending.
That means just one thing, as far as I’m concerned.
I’m going to be sitting down to the last episode — Coming Home — on Friday, 17th June, will be reviewing it on Saturday 18th June.
And looking forward to it, all week.
I’ll see you then.
Species Ten-C.★★★★
* Jet Reno is possibly one of my favourite Trek characters: grouchy, sympathetic and genuinely funny. What probably helps, there? Is simply that the actress that plays her, Tig Notaro? Is quite a well known stand-up comedian in the US. I may go check her stuff out: who knows.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.