Saturday, 9 April 2011

The Daily Teaser.

You know, I’ve got to mention this, I really have.

Did you know it’s Tom Lehrer’s birthday, today … ?

He’s a bit of a cult superstar, he really is, after writing a heck of lot of satirical songs, waaaaaaay back in the day.

And I’ve got to confess, the song of his I’m using in today’s Teaser movie … ?

Is a personal favourite of mine called Poisoning Pigeons In The Park.


Quite a fun one, I always think …

Lets move on, shall we … ?

Before I burst into a brief rendition of I Got It From Agnes

»»•««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting her answers in: along with scoring 6 out of 6, she’s also managed to share a bit of rather good news, that her first book, Identity Crisis, made it into the Amazon eBooks UK Top 100. Here’s hoping it stays in a little further … !

At any rate, lets see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video


Q1) 9th April, 2003, saw whose statue famously toppled … ?

Q2) 9th April, 1511, saw The College of St John the Evangelist — originally founded by Lady Margaret Beaufort — receive its Charter: but is it in Cambridge, Oxford or Bristol … ?

Q3) 9th April, 1682, saw Robert Cavelier de La Salle discover the mouth of which river … ?

Q4) More to the point, what did he call the region — and French territory — surrounding it … ?

Q5) During World War 2, 9th April, 1940 saw Germany invade two countries: name either …

Q6) And finally … 9th April, 1975, saw the birth of footballer, Robbie Fowler: with which English team did he start his career … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 8th April, 1943, saw the birth of noted politician, Tony Banks: which government department was he named Minister of, when Labour won the 1997 General Election … ?
A1) The Department of Culture Media and Sport.

Q2) More to the point, where was he MP of, from 1997 to 2005, when he stood down … ?
Q2) West Ham.

Q3) 8th April, 1730, saw the dedication of Shearith Israel, the first synagogue built in which US city … ?
A3) New York.

Q4) 8th April, 1336, saw the birth of Timur, or Tamerlane, as he’s sometimes known: in which Russian film is he named as the owner of the fiction magical item, the Chalk of Fate … ?
A4) Day Watch: or Dnevnoy dozor, Дневной дозор, in the original Russian.

Q5) 8th April, 1975, saw Frank Robinson manage his team, in the first game of Major league baseball to have an Afro-American manager: what was his team … ?
A5) The Cleveland Indians.

Q6) And finally … 8th April, 2008, saw the completion of the Bahrain World Trade centre, the first large building anywhere to include … what … ?
A6) Wind turbines.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later … !


1 comment:

  1. Hello! First, the answers.

    1. Saddam Hussein
    2. Cambridge
    3. Mississippi
    4. Louisiana
    5. Denmark and Norway
    6. Liverpool

    Okay. Second, good news. The book's rank went up! :-D

    http://midlistlife.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/omg-it-wasnt-just-a-fluke/

    Wow ...

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.