Tuesday, 19 April 2011

The Daily Teaser

You know, I’ve got to admit, I’ve got the telly on, again.

This time … ?

It’s Yesterday, who are showing a Michæl Palin documentaryª about the fatalities on the last day of World War 1.

Sheer madness, some of them … !

Going by what Palin was saying … ?

That last day of the war was possibly one of the madder days of four years worth of lunacy.

Lets get moving on, shall we … ?

Yes, lets …

»»•««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Mr Strict and Debbi putting in their answers.

With both scoring 6 out of 6, it also saw Mr S letting us know exactly how many titles Lucrezia Borgia* had — a rather mind-boggling number, tied in with at least three of her marriages — and Debbi telling us about the world’s longest baseball game.

Lets see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 19th April, 2005, saw Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger elected as Pope Benedict 16th: exactly how maw cardinals voted in that election … ?

Q2) More to the point, how was was the new pope, when elected … ?

Q3) 19th April, 1985, saw the Soviet Union carrying out nuclear testing: in which Kazakhstan town … ?

Q4) 19th April, 1947, saw the birth of Larry Walters, best known for his flying trips in a balloon-lifted what … ?

Q5) 19th April, 1971, saw the launch of the world’s first space station, by the USSR: what was it’s name … ?

Q6) And finally … 19th April, 1999, saw the German Bundestag open in which German city … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 18th April, 1971, saw the birth of Scottish actor, David McDonald: how’s he better known … ?
A1) David Tennant.

Q2) 18th April, 1981, saw the start of the world”s longest professional baseball game: which was finally completed on the 23rd of July, that year: name either of the teams involved.
Q2) The Pawtucket Red Sox and the Rochester Red Wings.

Q3) 18th April, 1924, saw the world’s first Crossword puzzle book published: by which publishers … ?
A3) Simon and Schuster.

Q4) 18th April, 1480, saw the birth of which member of the Borgia family … ?
A4) Lucrezia Borgia.

Q5) More to the point, who was her father … ?
A5) Pope Alexander 6th.

Q6) And finally, one last baseball question … 18th April, 1923, saw the formal opening of the original Yankee Stadium: also known as the House that who built … ?
A6) The House that Ruth Built.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later … !




* Although I’ve got to be honest, I’ve got this mental image of a Renaissance-era, Italian noblewoman ticking off her titles in some sort of Gibbons catalogue …

ª And now they’re showing a documentary about royal weddings through the 20th Century: not quite sublime to ridiculous, but … … … … …

1 comment:

  1. 1. 130
    2. 78
    3. Semipaltinsk
    4. a lawn chair
    5. Salyut 1
    6. Berlin

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.