Sunday, 26 June 2011

The Daily Teaser: 26-6-11

There we go …

I’ve got to admit, Jude’s got this bad habit of looking good, first thing in the morning, he really does!

Mind you …

I’ve ALSO got to admit, I’ve got a bit more hair than he does.

To the point where’s it almost to the small of me back.

I like it like that, meself.

Although it does mean I look like an explosion in a Bananarama factory, first thing in the morning.

»»·««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Mr Strict and Debbi putting in their answers: and saw Mr S scoring 4 out of 5, and Debbi bagging 5.

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 26th June saw the signing of the original United Nations Charter: in which year … ?

Q2) More to the point, in which US state … ?

Q3) In the opening line of the Charter, it says that the peoples of the UN will try and save succeeding generations from the scourge of what … ?

Q4) 26th June, 1948, saw the Western Allies begin an airlift to which German city … ?

Q5) Who — apocryphally — claimed to be a doughnut, on a visit to that city on 26th June, 1963.

Q6) And finally … 26th June, 1960, saw which island nation gain independence from France … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 25th June, 1876 was the date of the Battle of the Little Bighorn, or the Battle of the Greasy Grass, as it’s known to Native Americans: who was the Lakota Sioux holy man and tribal chief whose visions were pivotal in it … ?
A1) Sitting Bull: or Tȟatȟáŋka Íyotake, in Lakota.

Q2) More to the point, the Little Bighorn flows through which two US states … ?
Q2) Wyoming and Montana.

Q3) 25th June, 1947, saw the first publication of The Dairy of A Young Girl: how is this book better known … ?
A3) The Diary Of Anne Frank: or Het Achterhuis, in the original Dutch.

Q4) 25th June, 1938, saw who named as the first President of Ireland … ?
A4) Dr Douglas Hyde.

Q5) 25th June, 1975, saw a State of Emergency declared: in which commonwealth country … ?
A5) India.

Q6) And finally … 25th June, 1903, saw the birth of writer, George Orwell: what was the name of his first published book … ?
A6) Down and Out in Paris and London.
Enjoy those, everyone: as I’ve got A Good Man Goes To War playing in the background … ? I’ll leave you with a few words from the late Commander Strax …



1 comment:

  1. 1. 1945
    2. California
    3. war
    4. Berlin
    5. John F. Kennedy
    6. Madagascar

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.