Thursday, 16 June 2011

The Daily Teaser: 16-6-11

Hmmm …

Right at the moment … ?

Right at the moment, I’m going to change channels.

Seriously.

I think there’s only SO much Konnie Huq I can deal with at this time of the morning.

Not that there’s anything wrong with her: anyone that helps present Blue Peter for that long is going to be held in a certain amount of regard.

No.

It’s the fact that Yesterday were at it again.

I think it’s about the hundredth time I’ve seen the Who’s In Your History mini-show she did for Yesterday.

Yeah …

They can really overdo the repeats …

Lets get moving on, shall we … ?

Yes, lets

»»·««

Yesterday’s Teaser was a quiet one: with absolutely no-one putting in their answers*. So lets see who goes for today’s rather literary questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 16th June is Bloomsday: this celebrates the events of which James Joyce novel … ?

Q2) In which year was that novel set … ?

Q3) And in which city … ?

Q4) What’s the name of the novel’s central character … ?

Q5) As a FINAL Bloomsday question … who got married on Bloomsday, 1956, at Saint George the Matyr Church, in honour of the day … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 15th June, 1836, saw which US state admitted to the Union … ?
A1) Arkansas.

Q2) 15th June, 1985, saw a painting called Danaë attacked with sulfuric acid. Who was that painting by … ?
Q2) Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn. Although just Rembramdt’s fine.

Q3) 15th June, 1978, saw King Hussein of Jordan marry Queen Noor: what had been her name, up until then … ?
A3) Lisa Najeeb Halaby.

Q4) 15th June, 1911, saw the founding of what was to become IBM: under what name?
A4) The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company.

Q5) And finally … 15th June, 1954 saw the founding of European footballing organisation, UEFA: what does UEFA stand for … ?
A5) Union of European Football Associations.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later …

After I’ve left you with a clip from Finnegan’s Wake






* I think Debbi has a bit of a do going on, today … !

1 comment:

  1. Hi! You're right. Who knew doing an online book launch could be so time consuming and exhausting? :)

    BTW, hope you had a happy Bloomsday! :) Since I'm part Irish, I suppose I should read more of James Joyce's work.

    Of course, I'm also part English and Scottish. All I need is some Welsh and I'd have all the British isles covered, wouldn't I? :)

    1. Ulysses
    2. 1904
    3. Dublin
    4. Leopold Bloom
    5. Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.